Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

[Chivalry] - Agatha Knight - The King's Guard

Hi guys, so after messing around with a couple of different ideas (and half-heartedly starting one I wasn't really that into), I decided to lean away from obscure medieval/fantasy designs and instead try something a bit more traditional. I really got behind this subtle approach and have settled on the fairly modest combo of a decorated Longsword and a Hounskull bascinet helmet (images below).

NqlEmx7.jpg

I'm running with the idea of these being worn by the high ranking King's Guard Agathan Knights, made from the finest available materials and attractively decorated with gold inlay and intricate metal work.

The set will be for the Agatha Knight and the sword will replace the Longsword.

Replies

• sp0nge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting work on the sword first. Not a huge concept person for things like this so just set out a vague outline of the basic shapes and features for the sword.

M8tX4Ub.jpg
  • sp0nge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some WIP shots of the sword...

pqxKEex.jpg

kMLTui5.jpg

IDCkrr4.jpg
  • sp0nge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think I'm pretty much done with the high-poly now. I wanted to keep the lion head fairly simple to maintain the scale of detail with the rest of the sword - also it's meant to be hand-carved which co-incides nicely with my less-than-fantastic zbrush skills :) I'll definitely be tweaking the overall shape slightly in the low poly and doing some painting in the normal map just to bring it all together.

B3F0lWo.jpg

nl0gbiw.jpg

SRbVqvt.jpg
  • McGuire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGuire polycounter lvl 4
    Careful, in another thread, someone from Torn Banner said that weapons need to be team neutral.

EDIT: Ignore that - team specific weapons are OK per the FAQ thread.

Looks really awesome otherwise. I like how simple the lions are but they still read really well - can't wait to see them with teeth.
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the look of it, may I ask what program did you use for the sculpting process?
  • sp0nge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys - yea I saw that thread before going to bed last night and had a minor panic attack! Like you say though, I think team-specific has been officially confirmed as OK now, at least when it's a helm/weapon combo. Wasn't actually planning on adding teeth in the interest of avoiding too much micro-detail but I'm going to revisit the high poly today, just to break up some of the perfect lines, so might add some in and see how they look.
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Yep the team stuff is fine now. Really liking this sword. Very strong and light looking.
  • Sophax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the bit broader blade look you have, should feel satisfying to chop people up with it :p
  • sgtscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sgtscience polycounter lvl 8
    I like the adaptation of the katzbalger "S" cross guard a long sword. Did you look into kriegmesser at all?
  • Magicspook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    like the sword! love the little angry lion face!
    but maybe you should refrain from making a hounskull/bascinet helmet, as one very good one has already been made.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Its a cool design,but not to be too much of a nerd,but that "S" shaped element at the guard, seems like it could get the wielder of the sword in trouble. If the wielder parrys a sword swing the opponents blade might get caught in that space, leaving the wielder of the sword defenseless.
  • sp0nge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :)

sgtscience: Oh yea, I hadn't actually seen the Katzbalger until you mentioned it! Was more an adaptation of the general closed loop guards you see on a lot of bastard swords, good spot though :)

Magicspook: Yea I did stumble across that Hounskull recently (since my last post) and it's partly responsible for the grounding halt in updates. There's only so many ways you can make a traditional looking Hounskull and NBLM has done a pretty decent job with his; doubt there's enough I could do to set mine apart. I'm going on holiday in a couple of days and wont be back until about 5 days from deadline. If I haven't come up with a decent replacement idea by then I think I'll just stick to finishing the sword as an individual piece.

JO420: Good point about the potential impracticality about the guard. I might actually close the ends in a bit on the low poly to make that less of an issue - similar to the Katzbalger mentioned above.
  • Dobrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dobrin polycounter lvl 4
    @sp0nge, I really like your traditional style, keep going that way :) Happy holidays,
    and hope to see your progress soon.