Home Technical Talk

Maya viewport anti-aliasing and 2015 modeling tools

sWIRLEE
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sWIRLEE polycounter lvl 18
Hello friends and thank you for potentially answering my questions.

I recently upgraded from Maya 2012 to 2015 at home in an attempt to stay current with the latest workflow, but also because there is a viewport anti-aliasing issue that I've been dealing with that I hoped upgrading would take care of. It didn't.

I've attached two screenshots, the top screenshot is from my work computer, notice the wireframe and grid are nice and crisp. That's how I like it. The second image is from my home computer. Somewhere down the line and graphics driver update or something started anti-aliasing my viewport. I hate it. It looks blurry and actually hurts my eyes after a while. I've tried turning off all the anti-aliasing settings for Maya in my nVidia control panel and also letting Maya control the graphics settings and played around with options within the program, but can't seem to change it back. Any suggestions for just how to do this would be greatly appreciated and I will send you lots of eHugs.

http://i.imgur.com/CFOa71t.png
http://i.imgur.com/6Y3SMhP.png

My other issue is with this whole NEX modeling toolset integration. I first started using Maya at version 3.0 way back in the day, since then, the program has only incrementally changed each version so the learning curve from old version to new has been minimal over the years. However, 2015 seems to have really effed with my program, LITERALLY! Ha! Everything's moved around, the more legacy modeling tools are kind of hidden/buried and even though I've been meaning to learn how these new modeling tools work, it seems like now I'm forced to. Can anyone recommend a good tutorial site/video explaining how they work? I'm fumbling around Maya now like it's my first time modeling. Very frustrating. Thanks!

Replies

• Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    The wireframe smoothing could be due to a couple different settings.

If you are in Viewport 2.0: in the Viewport 2.0 options, the Multisample Anti-aliasing will affect your wireframe as well as model edges.

If you are not in Viewport 2.0: check the Shading viewport menu > disable Smooth Wireframe.

Maya 2015 seems to have organized their menus a bit, they have labeled spacers now which is kind of nice.

As for the Modeling Toolkit, I have it uninstalled most of the time because I don't like it, so I can't really suggest any video tutorials. I'd do a quick search on YouTube though if I were you.
  • sWIRLEE
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so at work flagging anti-aliasing settings ON in the viewport 2.0 settings seemed to recreate the blurry "anti-aliased" feel I was getting without asking for it at home. However, when I tried it here at home, it was already set to off, switching between default renderer and 2.0 made little difference. Starting to think it's something controlled outside of Maya being as though this happened in both versions of Maya. I went into my nVidia control panel and turned off everything that had anti-aliasing listed and still nothing. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    sWIRLEE wrote: »
    Ok, so at work flagging anti-aliasing settings ON in the viewport 2.0 settings seemed to recreate the blurry "anti-aliased" feel I was getting without asking for it at home. However, when I tried it here at home, it was already set to off, switching between default renderer and 2.0 made little difference. Starting to think it's something controlled outside of Maya being as though this happened in both versions of Maya. I went into my nVidia control panel and turned off everything that had anti-aliasing listed and still nothing. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

try brute forcing the aa quality u want by leaving the multisample option checked on but turning the sample count all the way down to "1" in the Anti-aliasing's "sample count" drop down menu??

As far as NEX-centric workflow strategies...
    I agree. It's obvious that the current NEX application still works like an add-on plug-in that hasn't been "folded in" to the programs yet. I prefer to work with such add-ons as "bonus tools".
    Otherwise...
    the following webinar's beginning crams a lot of NEX functionality and shortcuts quickly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4dqtXZsVro&feature=youtu.be
  • sWIRLEE
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply, I'll try this when I get home. I have a feeling it's not going to work though. An interesting thing I noticed is, on my work computer whether I have antialiasing on or off, textual UI elements like polycount display or the name of the camera or orthagraphic view text isn't blurred, but at home it is... something is very strange. I'll do a side by side of these text elements to show you guys.
  • sWIRLEE
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed it! Uninstalled graphics drivers and reinstalled! Hizza! Nice crispy pixels!