Home Dota 2

Importing the Dota 2 models to Maya

Good day Everyone,

My apologies for bringing to life the many times discussed issue.

For a few days trying to figure out how to get Dota 2 to Maya 2015, including animations.

Found a few sources, but they seem to be quite outdated and it is hard to distinguish which way still works.

As per Wyk's blog, I followed roadmap:

1. Using DCFscape extract *.mdl files from pak01_dir.vpk in game folder. (done)
2. Using using Studio Compiler extract *.smd files from *.mdl. (Studio Compiler crashed, but I extracted same with Crowbar - however found at forum that Crowbar does not extract the models properly)
3. Import *.smd to Maya - that's where I stuck

Seems like there was 2 tools for the purpose:

1.Prall’s .SMD in-/exporter - seems dead, the links to the site are dead (like here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showp...&postcount=592)

2. MESA (http://puppet-master.net/plugins/mesa-1-1/) seems like support of Maya 2015 is not confirmed. After experimenting with the tool had "blue screen", so not sure I want to continue with it.

Would really appreciate if someone link me to a fresher guide or spend a few minutes of his time to explain how to get the models with animations in another way.

p.s. I know there are official models on the website, but seems like the do not have the animations and weapons.
p.s.s. I am considering importing/exporting via Blender - even installed same with the Source Engine plugin, but importing Void model from the Crowbar .smd resulted in appearance of strange cube instead of his head. So .mdl -> .smd problem persists.

From my side - if someone help me to get into the process - I promise to make a comprehensive guide for other newbies like me.

Replies

• Confrontation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Confrontation polycounter lvl 9
    i have exactly the same Problem it feels like all comments to this Topic are from 2012
  • shxsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shxsy polycounter lvl 9
    Jumping here to say I'm having the same problems. TF2, but still, same problems. Can get the .mdl files extracted to .smd's, but after that, it's largely been dead ends.
  • S_rp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice to hear I am not the only with the problem, at some point started to feel extremely dumb =)
  • S_rp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found the below instructions, posted 22.08.2014. However the paths look outdated (No SteamUserName folder for long time). Found the folders in new locations, but did not work for me anyway or may be I just could not find the "import SMD" option in Maya.

Instructions
    1. Close "Maya" completely. "Maya" needs to restart after the modifications are made to load SMD files.

2. Open the "Library" tab of Steam. Change the display filter to "Tools."

3. Right click on "Source SDK." Choose the "Install Game…" option. You need to wait for "Source SDK" to download fully, but you do not need to open the program.

4. Open the "Steam" directory. Open the "Scripts" folder. The path for this folder from the Steam directory is SteamApps\SteamUserName\SourceSDK\Maya\4.5\Scripts.

5. Copy all of the files and folders in the "Scripts" folder. Paste the files from the "Scripts" folder in C: \My Documents\Maya\Scripts.

6. Run "Maya." Choose "Import SMD…" to import the "Team Fortress 2" models.