Home Quixel Megascans

Maya LT & Colour Maps (Quixel Suite)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ScrotieFlapWack polycounter lvl 5
Not to sure if this is the right place to post this. I am a little new to 3D and I am struggling. I have recently purchased Maya LT and I am trying to get a colour map from Maya LT to dDo (the new Quixel Suite). A Google search and watching some Youtube video's only shows the process of getting a colour map from Maya by baking from a high poly to a low poly, most tuts are with Maya as well and not Maya LT and the new TURTLE baking system (which makes it difficult for me to follow along.) But I don't need to bake from a high to low poly model anyway, I only have one model its a simple plane for a wall with one extrusion VERY low poly about 40 vertices and 10 faces, I can provide a screenshot when I am home from work.

Due to my model being this simple would it just be a case of getting a UV snapshot and applying the swatches through Photoshop for the colour/material map? Another problem (which I think I know how to solve, it isn't really a problem but more of me knowing better techniques), I have no normal map for my model. I have a UV snapshot from Maya LT of my model's UV's and I create an nDo2 document drag in my UV snapshot and just paint a normal map within the UV snapshot (simple cracks and scratches for some detail) then I save that from nDo2 as a .PNG, if there is any other way though to get a nice normal map, (maybe some other techniques) if your willing to share please do

For the colour map though I am not to sure what the best way to do this is. I am new to Maya LT and I am learning as I go. Any help is appreciated

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi ScrotieFlapWack! This is exactly the right place :)

Yes you can in fact make a color id map the way you're describing, just make sure that your anti aliasing doesnt have low sampling in your map. It will cause color artifacts that DDO thinks are separate colors, so for example your two color map might show up as a four colored map in DDO.

Your method of making simple normal maps is quite clever. although the most common way is to bake them in your prefered 3d application. I don't think you need to paint cracks and such unless they are really big. DDO will make glorious cracks in your texture, and if you want the in a specific spot you can make a custom pattern instead.

You can read more about input maps in our guide on the Wiki:
    http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=inputmaps

Let me know if you have any more questions!
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScrotieFlapWack polycounter lvl 5
    Hi ScrotieFlapWack! This is exactly the right place :)

Yes you can in fact make a color id map the way you're describing, just make sure that your anti aliasing doesnt have low sampling in your map. It will cause color artifacts that DDO thinks are separate colors, so for example your two color map might show up as a four colored map in DDO.

Your method of making simple normal maps is quite clever. although the most common way is to bake them in your prefered 3d application. I don't think you need to paint cracks and such unless they are really big. DDO will make glorious cracks in your texture, and if you want the in a specific spot you can make a custom pattern instead.

You can read more about input maps in our guide on the Wiki:
    http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=inputmaps

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Cheers Eric. I'm not used to the new baker yet in Maya LT so I will have to do some reading up about it. I am hoping to utilize the Suite as much as I can because the results I have seen from it are gorgeous XD
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We hope to have more learning materials soon as well. I wish you good luck in your quest for gorgeusness :) let me know if you have any issues!