Home General Discussion

Maya LT & Colour Maps (Quixel Suite)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ScrotieFlapWack polycounter lvl 5
Not to sure if this is the right place to post this. I am a little new to 3D and I am struggling. I have recently purchased Maya LT and I am trying to get a colour map from Maya LT to dDo (the new Quixel Suite). A Google search and watching some Youtube video's only shows the process of getting a colour map from Maya by baking from a high poly to a low poly, most tuts are with Maya as well and not Maya LT and the new TURTLE baking system (which makes it difficult for me to follow along.) But I don't need to bake from a high to low poly model anyway, I only have one model its a simple plane for a wall with one extrusion VERY low poly about 40 vertices and 10 faces, I can provide a screenshot when I am home from work.

Due to my model being this simple would it just be a case of getting a UV snapshot and applying the swatches through Photoshop for the colour/material map? Another problem (which I think I know how to solve, it isn't really a problem but more of me knowing better techniques), I have no normal map for my model. I have a UV snapshot from Maya LT of my model's UV's and I create an nDo2 document drag in my UV snapshot and just paint a normal map within the UV snapshot (simple cracks and scratches for some detail) then I save that from nDo2 as a .PNG, if there is any other way though to get a nice normal map, (maybe some other techniques) if your willing to share please do ;)

For the colour map though I am not to sure what the best way to do this is. I am new to Maya LT and I am learning as I go. Any help is appreciated :)

Replies

• antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    Theres an even easier way for your color maps, when you need it from the object itself:
    -Paint Vertexcolor onto the faces, you need.
    -In the paint Vetrxcolor Tool, go down to Attribute maps -> Export and save the colormap to a texture
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler wrote: »
    Theres an even easier way for your color maps, when you need it from the object itself:
    -Paint Vertexcolor onto the faces, you need.
    -In the paint Vetrxcolor Tool, go down to Attribute maps -> Export and save the colormap to a texture

Thanks very much man, I will have to give this a try. I have never used Vertex Colour Tool, I am using Maya LT by the way so this tool should be included? I haven't seen it. I will defo try this out though.

One more thing. This may sound absolutely stupid but I want to clarify something. When exporting an FBX or OBJ (or whatever type of model) from Maya. If you have UV'ed the model, those UV's are contained in the FBX file? Only reason I ask is because I came from using 3D - Coat and when exporting a model from there your maps for your UV's are exported as PNG's after exporting the model out of 3D - Coat but this doesn't happen in Maya. Small things like this confuse me haha. The only export option for UV's that I have seen is the UV Snapshot option in the UV Texture Editor.

I have a few knowledge gaps that need closing with Maya, I want to move onto the software because its industry standard and very popular :)
  • antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    Both obj and fbx contain texture coordinates (UVs). With fbx however, you can also save vertexcolor, the scenes size, more than one UV set (and much more).
    You can export your UVs as a texture from Mayas UV Texture Editor: Polygons > UV Snapshot
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler wrote: »
    Both obj and fbx contain texture coordinates (UVs). With fbx however, you can also save vertexcolor, the scenes size, more than one UV set (and much more).
    You can export your UVs as a texture from Mayas UV Texture Editor: Polygons > UV Snapshot

Ahh I see. The UV snapshot I use in Photoshop to use as guides to paint my normal maps, diffuse etc. I was wondering because I am trying to get a workflow that is quick and easy for me to get used to as I am using UE4 to make my first game project :D

I have experience modelling but not in Maya and things are totally different in Maya :P