Home Marmoset

Specular/Gloss? canceling out Albedo

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
Doing preliminary texturing with dDO (Quixel Suite)

Does anyone know how to fix this Specular issue happening in Marmoset 2 for me? It's just cancelling everything out from the ALbedo, and I can't figure out with brute force experimentation what's going on.

This is my first time bouncing through Marmoset 2's PBR settings, so if anyone can help me understand a proper approach to this all, that'd be super appreciated! I have a feeling I am doing something fundamentally wrong here.

K6tgJ0B.jpg

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Energy conservation will kick in if your specular intensity is too high, most non-metals have around 2-8% reflectivity (linear space). Though it doesn't look like your spec map is super bright or anything so not sure that explains it, try turning off energy conservation though to see if that is the problem.

What does it look like when you set specular intensity and fresnel both to 0?

Your albedo appears to be pretty dark.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Joe!

Setting Intensity and Fresnel to 0 still achieves the same result of the Albedo being blacked out.

As a test, I imported the Crazy Sailor Toolbag materials from an existing Toolbag scene, and swapped the textures, and the albedo shows up there. So my assumption is that I somehow made the material wrong, or I'm using the wrong material.

Albedo is definitely dark. Planning for an African American character wearing 50% black-ish clothes.
  • EarthQuake
    Oh I see the problem, your diffusion model isn't set to anything, set it to lambertian with the dropdown.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    That did it, thank you Joe!