Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sitting Bull

Hello everyone! Been working on this Sitting Bull piece recently, ultimately aiming to get it rendered in Toolbag with PBR; feel free to crit away!! Cheers :D

Cys6TKB.jpg
vTq3fo4.jpg
IG806YA.jpg

Replies

• Black_Stormy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Black_Stormy polycounter lvl 8
    Feed that horse! The muscle definitions are great but don't forget that animals usually have a layer of fat to soften those hard edge valleys. Sitting bull himself has wierd wrists. I can't pick what it is, they just look too skinny and low detail. Great work though.
  • tomwatson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers man! Yeah the horse has been a massive learning curve, slowly getting the hang of the anatomy :)
  • tomwatson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent some time today refining and adding some asymmetry to the torso; spent ages trying to get the back right but I think I'm almost there now! :)

S5uAfkc.jpg
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    the wrists are very thin i think and the trousers seem huge :D
  • tomwatson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @skodone - Cheers for the feedback dude, bit of a late reply.. yeah after coming back to this piece I think I'm going to completely rework the trousers, so they are more fitted; and the wrists are still quite rough at the moment, haven't really put too much work in to them, need to fix the anatomy of the whole arm tbh, I think its a little off!

For the past month or so I've been doing quite a few anatomical studies on my Lunch break at work and what not, it's something I've always really wanted to get a solid grasp of as I'm fully aware of how much of an impact it can have on the quality of my work.. anyway to the point, i've been applying some of these fundamentals and subtlety's to the face of Sitting Bull for a couple of hours this evening, and I'm really pleased with how its looking! Still quite rough, but i'm far happier with the overall structure now, which i'll be able to build off! :D

Feel free to rip it apart if you spot any glaring mistakes.. i'm sure there's a few in there somewhere :poly124:

wTFK6Vs.jpg
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    I think you could seriously benefit from actually modelling that Winchester Rifle using actual subdiv rather than sculpting. It's really inaccurate and lumpy. I'm currently working on one if you'd like to use it. I'm not really too knowledgeable about human or equine anatomy, but I think you nailed the likeness in Sitting Bull's face.
  • tomwatson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kaine123 - Yeah I was thinking about doing that, maybe i'll use it as an excuse to finally get the hang of using Maya :D Cheers for the feedback man!
  • tomwatson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi friends!

Finally picking up this fella again - pretty much re-worked every element, much happier with him now :)

Feel free to rip it to shreds!

Dbq2oa0.jpg
  • tomwatson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent the past couple of days refining the headdress for this guy :) Still got the feathers, some fur and the ribbons to finish. Let me know what you think!