Home Quixel Megascans

Using the metalness workflow with Quixel?

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
I'm making some assets for UE4, which uses the metalness workflow, from what I can tell, there's no easy way to use that with DDO, the UE4 export doesn't give you a metalness texture, and it doesn't combine the reflectance with the albedo, so there's no easy way to get assets with both metal and non-metals working well with textures straight from DDO.

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually there is! You need to check the "Metalness" box when you create the project.

It should be noted though that the GGX curve is missing from the 1.3 release so you have to rescale the roughness for now, but in 1.4 GGX will be fully implemented!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Oops, I'm blind, thanks! I wish it would give you a warning or something when exporting to UE4 without metalness being on.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good idea! I'll relay it to Teddy!
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Hey ZacD, did you try hitting the metalness box? I still think it's not working correctly. ( I could be wrong here :) )

I did on one of my tests, but I've noticed that it doesn't combine the correct reflectance values.

For example, try putting Brick and Gold Metal on one texture sheet. The albedo will be off for the Gold. (for Gold, add a metal, right click on the reflectance box and find the gold preset).

Please let me know your results...
  • 9of9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In what way is it off?

I believe with the metalness workflow you need to create an Albedo for Metalness map instead of a normal metalness one, perhaps that's the issue you're having?
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    The gold color in the albedo is white instead of a gold color. I've tried with the Albedo for metalness, and regular Albedo. The specular option is the only one the seems to put out the correct reflectance values.
  • BearByrnes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ZacD I had the same issues when I first started using the SUITE with Toolbag 2, took me a while to find the illusive "Metalness" check box.

@Eric it would be great to be able to change the project to a metalness workflow after you create it. If this is already a feature I apologize for not seeing it. But it would be awesome to have if you want to switch between different engines, or projects.

Cheers,
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BearByrnes - that is nothing that is possible right now, but its something we´re looking in to for future releases!

Teddy is looking in to suite/UE4 in generally to make sure everything is working correct. We will also try to create more tutorials/write ups in this matter. :)