Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

[Chivalry] - Mason Vanguard - The Peasant's Reap Set

Hello everyone! I'm Gauntlet from the chiv forums, and long time chiv veteran! I've always enjoyed 3d modeling as a hobby and am trying to do my first fully completed game ready model. This is what I have so far.
This is the Peasant's Reap, a set dedicated to farmer tools reforged into weapons of war. (Low fantasy)

The War Scythe (situated on the right, next to the billhook from the game)

9442a5906c.jpg

Wireframe
19f1722d7f.png

Tri count: 916

UV Map
b979376849.png

For a helm I plan on doing a peasant hood similar to this:
il_570xN.460231437_8qk9.jpg

And if time permits I would really love to make a ritual short sword.

At this time I'm learning how to do normal maps in nDo, and texturing in general. If you have any critiques please feel free to leave them, I am still learning a lot.

Replies

• Pariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pariah polycounter lvl 4
    Aww yeah Gauntlet, this looks mental already!

Really like that the model you've created not only looks like realistic examples, but keeps the identity of the weapon intact, making it easy to identify as a billhook in-game which as a player I feel is a really important point that a lot of people are overlooking.

Looking forward to the peasant hood too haha
  • Lucas Peinador
    Really good job Gauntlet, nice work on the Uv's. I read that the technical quality is a factor for the judging. Until yours I forgot that we could do non-armor-like helmets. Remember that the hat must identify the class from distance.
  • Gauntlet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, unfortunately school kicked in, lots of lab work and research but not much time for anything else!

This is a small update, working on a normal map. I've had some artifacts trying to bake out normals in xNormals. Currently I'm using nDo to clean up those artifacts while working on a high poly sculpt.

Pariah, thanks for the kind words :-) However as I'm about to write below, I'm not doing a hood anymore.

Lucas, I think I'll be changing the helm. Someone else is working on a hood and quite honestly, you're very right. A hood doesn't look "vanguard". It screams archer (but the Agatha archer already wears a hood!)
    For now here's a sample of my sculpt
    bbf6eb39de.jpg

I'm keeping the details subtle, with some light scratching around the blade and some pock marks from parrying enemy attacks.

I also plan to add some hammered metal details towards the base of the head, as if this piece was hastily forged and slammed onto a piece of wood for combat.