Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

[Chivalry] – Mason Knight – European's set

Hello everybody, this is my entry for this contest. I decided to do something inspired by the European knights. For that, I started to block out first a Sallet Helmet :

2Y0JtUZ.png

As you saw in the title, this European set will be for the Mason Knights :)

I don't know yet what kind of weapon I can make, but whatever, I still have time !

I'm almost done with baking the AO, etc ... I'll post soon some updates !
Good luck everybody :)

Replies

• Thomas Battistetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #Update 1

The unwraping is done, so the baking is okay !
    This is the AO map :

cXB9Fe2.png

(I'm not really good for unwrapping so maybe many of you will find it a bit messy)
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon polycounter lvl 7
    It is not messy, but there is a lot of unused space.
  • Thomas Battistetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon wrote: »
    It is not messy, but there is a lot of unused space.

Yeah you're right, I'll try to pack better my other mesh (the weapon) next time ! Thanks for your comment :)

#Update 2

I played a bit with dDo and nDO and here it's the result :

2MceIKb.png
    vv1p7LW.png
    5nuI9nZ.png

I'll change the materials, because it's not really fitting the "Mason" style, but as you can see, I used their Eagle symbol.
  • mr.craft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.craft polycounter lvl 7
    fill the blank space in UV, lots of unused space. good luck
  • Thomas Battistetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.craft wrote: »
    fill the blank space in UV, lots of unused space. good luck

I'm working on again, thank you :)))
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Really nice design but as it has been mentioned, the uvs have a lot of unused space. Looking forward to seeing it finished :)
  • Thomas Battistetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9thKnight wrote: »
    Really nice design but as it has been mentioned, the uvs have a lot of unused space. Looking forward to seeing it finished :)

Thank you very much :) Here is what the new unwrap looks like ! Is it better ? KkUN2Q8.png
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Definitely better than before. Always utilize that space as best you can.
  • Thomas Battistetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9thKnight wrote: »
    Definitely better than before. Always utilize that space as best you can.

Ah, super ! I'll take care of that now !
    Now it's time to re-texture everything :D I'll post updates as soon as I can. Thank you again
  • Thomas Battistetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #Update 3

Hey everyone ! As you can see above, I repacked my UV's and I did the texturing part again :) Now it's fitting better the Mason style.

92UMaPb.png

YoWwFah.png

2nwIHBc.png

What are you thinking about this new style ? Do you like it ? :)
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Definitely better. Can see those details are crisper now. Anything else you plan on doing to it?
  • Thomas Battistetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah crisper details, it's way better ! Mmm I don't really know yet, maybe some "big" scratches, like if the knight got a sword in his face, or arrows shots :D But if you have any suggestions, let me know ahah :)
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Tiny amounts of rust or dirt maybe. Adding a nice patina would be great! Would really go a long way especially for your spec map
  • Thomas Battistetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added a dirt pass but not a rust one (it would look too "old" and I don't really want that effect)

hav5x2j.png
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Better, that helped a bit. Subtle. Hm... I feel like it needs something........ I don't know what that something is. Maybe some of those bolts like in your original reference on the bottom right most image?
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Thank you very much :) Here is what the new unwrap looks like ! Is it better ? KkUN2Q8.png

The UV layout can use a rework...Im not sure how far you are into it now but reworking the UVs so they stack will give you more texture space to add more details..the pics are some notes on what can be done to the UV's. The one on the right is what you can do to get the most out of your textures.

sZeiNTf.jpg

This is my unwrap in max...the ones I've mirrored over and stacked the player will only see one side at a time.

LYAt0gI.jpg

Hope this helps.
  • Magicspook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    might making a sallet give some trouble as the agatha knights already got one and the masons are kind of inspired by ottoman/middle eastern soldiers? I mean, your sallet looks way better than the default one (which looks like it's made of plastic), but still...
  • Thomas Battistetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes wrote: »
    The UV layout can use a rework...Im not sure how far you are into it now but reworking the UVs so they stack will give you more texture space to add more details..the pics are some notes on what can be done to the UV's. The one on the right is what you can do to get the most out of your textures.

This is my unwrap in max...the ones I've mirrored over and stacked the player will only see one side at a time.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much Notes, it is very kind of you for those explanations ! I haven't done that because I was affraid with the normal map, it could have been on both of the sides and it would have mess up the textures, I mean, that was my guess ... Now I'm a bit far so I don't know if I should restart again. Texturing still something very new for me as you can see :).
  • Thomas Battistetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magicspook wrote: »
    might making a sallet give some trouble as the agatha knights already got one and the masons are kind of inspired by ottoman/middle eastern soldiers? I mean, your sallet looks way better than the default one (which looks like it's made of plastic), but still...

Hello ! I don't think so, I mean, it doesn't look that far from their "style" in my opinion, and few of the helmets are available for both of Agathas and Masons knights. Thanks, I'm glad you find it better than the original :)
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Ya welcome, Thomas...there wasn't alot of UV shells so it take alot of time...it will take a few trial and errors to get the bake just right but I feel that this idea behind the UV layout is something that should be considered very early on in this field.
    I wasn't aware of this for a while when I started and it would've helped me ALOT...good luck
  • Thomas Battistetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes wrote: »
    Ya welcome, Thomas...there wasn't alot of UV shells so it take alot of time...it will take a few trial and errors to get the bake just right but I feel that this idea behind the UV layout is something that should be considered very early on in this field.
    I wasn't aware of this for a while when I started and it would've helped me ALOT...good luck

Yeah, I understand but I thought to not to do that, because didn't want to get the same details on similar shells, it would look weird, especially with the normal map, imagine I add a "bolt" on the normal, it will appear outside but inside too.. Buut why not, I'll try. Thanks again for all your tips, it is very helpful ! :) :thumbup:
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    You could however mirror just the interior rather than stack it on top of the exterior.