Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Review my portfolio and my future on Polycount.

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
Time for a recap:
My portfolio thread Febuary 2014
My portfolio thread March, 2014

Now it's 5 months later:
http://jordannelson2.weebly.com/

Some notes:
-This is the portfolio I sent for college admission. I'm aware pieces like the Cabinet or Chair come off as generic but I needed something that was a huge step up from previous efforts (those efforts were models often with no textures and no use of lighting being rendered in a game engine).

Because I'm now done, I can finally clear my head and begin working on much more game industry savvy works (the ak-47 at the bottom of the page for example, is what I want to be completed).

- Everything is rendered in real time in Unreal Engine 4. I no longer use those 3DS Max renders as you guys told me.
- I've kept my portfolio small. I have learned quality over quantity is more important.
-If you're wondering where are my textures, pbr workflow, etc, they're coming. Right when I make more assets they'll be there.
-Same for "where are the environments?". I'm half-way there. It takes too much time to build these things and thus I was in the situation of having no portfolio. I'm just putting up pieces to show and develop them into something bigger.
-The W.I.P is temporary. This will be the last time I'll show unfinished work in a portfolio. It's just proof that I am moving forward.
-I'm thinking of what to do with my 2D section. I finally added a painting that shows an environment. However, I still like my Mackenzie King and Mighty Switch Force drawings because they reflect an artstyle.
-I revamped my portfolio look completely. I think this will be my permanent style of posting images.
-The reason my photography pics are lacking the borders is because I lost the original files. I also figure the photos look better without them because the photos themselves were meant to be viewed in a special way.
-For the sunset, I just realized I should add Depth of field. Definitely the one thing I felt the scene really deserves.

Now it's to talk about my future.

Where I want to go next:
-I want to learn 3D sculpting like in Zbrush/Mudbox.
-I want to start working in the game industry in 2015. Hopefully the sooner the better because I really need a job.
-I haven't forgotten about my other projects (the bus or the island). However, it makes no sense to work on something old if more important ideas are in my way. I'll look at them as inspiration for now to when I deliver actual environment pieces.
-My 2D section will be dedicated to developing artstyle. For months, I was puzzled on how to tackle 2D. I figured it was easier if I started with one medium (example: pencil crayon) and started drawing/painting in a way I felt comfortable with.

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I should also mention I have heaps and heaps of drawings sitting on my floor and tens of 3DS Max files sitting on my hard drive. I think I will create a thread showing all the stuff I was doing every day since February 2014. I tried my hardest to never waste a day not creating art or learning it.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    You want to be a prop artist? Get rid of everything except props.

Then ask yourself, what are you really passionate about making. What sort of props really get you excited? I suspect it is not a red chair and a cabinet. Make something you're passionate about.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    aesir wrote: »
    You want to be a prop artist? Get rid of everything except props.

Then ask yourself, what are you really passionate about making. What sort of props really get you excited? I suspect it is not a red chair and a cabinet. Make something you're passionate about.

The prop artist was a remainder from the other threads. People were confused when I wrote down "environment artist" but there were no environments. I couldn't create the environments in a week so I'm making props first.

You're right, the chair and cabinet are very much temporary. There are much more original things I have in mind.

This portfolio is also the one I sent to college. The pieces were more to show I'm interested in 3D/2D art as opposed to immediately landing a job in the game industry. I'm updating the OP to reflect all this.
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    I would consider getting rid of the 2D art and the photography. If you're trying to sell yourself as a 3D artist, it's my understanding that you should only include 3D art in your portfolio unless you're really exceptionally talented in another medium.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Carabiner wrote: »
    I would consider getting rid of the 2D art and the photography. If you're trying to sell yourself as a 3D artist, it's my understanding that you should only include 3D art in your portfolio unless you're really exceptionally talented in another medium.
    Is this a standard that's enforced? I've seen other artists who do 3D but still have 2D or photography work included.

Even the person I quoted above seems to have both in his portfolio.

If it's about talent, then I rather work hard and become exceptional at it to keep it.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First impression when I quickly scroll through is that you only have 2 pieces of complete works - sofa and cabinet.

I'm going to be honest here that it only gives me negative impression. Those 2 could have been completed in a day each, I'll give you 3 maximum. And you only have 2... Your first post was February? Why is there not more? What have you been doing the past 6 months?

Now, you have 15 more months before 2015 end. Start creating awesome arts, and create many, many more of them. Getting up to speed and creating arts should be your concern now, not revising your website.

Good luck and work hard mate.
  • SecretPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your 3D is average or good and you want to become a 3D artist specifically, there is no need for misc art such as 2D drawing, Logo Designs, etc

Not always, but most of the time, people that include that section, is to reinforce there lack of 3D content.

Regarding your portfolio:

1. The quality still needs a bigger push, but I understand you are aiming at school admission

2. If I had to judged is also hard to grasp how experience you are in 3D. The saying of quality over quantity usually is enforced by some deep pieces. The models here do not justify your aptitude in 3D. In other words, personally I think showing a non texture or some high poly render of some complex models can help you alot. Keep in mind, this is to help you get into a school, for professional stuff, that is another story.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    JordanN wrote: »
    If it's about talent, then I rather work hard and become exceptional at it to keep it.

That's all well and good, but does it compliment what you're going for now as a 3d artist?

IMO its okay for a character artist to have anatomy studies, or a lighting artist to have certain types of photography or an environment artist to have conceptual stuff... that is if they are good.

The point of a portfolio is to put your best foot forward, make a blog for WIPs and photography and anything that isn't of the highest standard. When you start out you might not have than many great pieces, but as you go curate your portfolio ruthlessly, it is better to have a potential employer ask for more samples than to be put off by mediocre filler.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    DireWolf wrote: »
    First impression when I quickly scroll through is that you only have 2 pieces of complete works - sofa and cabinet.

I'm going to be honest here that it only gives me negative impression. Those 2 could have been completed in a day each, I'll give you 3 maximum. And you only have 2... Your first post was February? Why is there not more? What have you been doing the past 6 months?

Now, you have 15 more months before 2015 end. Start creating awesome arts, and create many, many more of them. Getting up to speed and creating arts should be your concern now, not revising your website.

Good luck and work hard mate.

Coincidentally, the website revisions took up the least amount of time. I only updated them shortly before I made this thread and prior ones.

Before, my layout was a mess where I was using slideshow features and had no idea how to properly tag and present each work.

I can't think of much more reasons to change it now other than making sub pages. But that wont come till I make my first full environment.

As for what I was doing, I was taking the advice of the other threads. I didn't want to make diffuse stuff that could only be rendered in 3DS Max. I started learning UDK but then the news of Unreal Engine 4 being open to the public changed everything.

I now had to learn how to use that engine, in addition to learning PBR, learning hi poly modeling, normal maps, AO etc. It's important to note, it's the first time I learned any of this. I didn't have any prior years experience apart from just modeling.

Also, I was very sick around June 2014. I was sick for the whole month and didn't really recover till the end of July.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Is this a standard that's enforced? I've seen other artists who do 3D but still have 2D or photography work included.

Even the person I quoted above seems to have both in his portfolio.

No it is not the rule, but you should only put traditional art in your portfolio if it is high quality good art. 3D artists that have an understanding, and skill, in painting and photography are generally stronger overall artists.

With that said however, I would say your 2d art and photography are not at a level worthwhile putting in a game art portfolio.

The only things I would have in your portfolio are the sofa and the cabinet, because everything else is not helping you at all. (Remember quality over quantity) Those WIPs and that "tutorial," are not showing anything worthwhile either.

As for what to do moving forward is setting up better lighting for your props instead of the default UE4 test level lighting. Also creating more interesting props with more character, detail, and interest in them would help as well.

Hope this helps.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    BARDLER wrote: »

As for what to do moving forward is setting up better lighting for your props instead of the default UE4 test level lighting.
    Can you explain this part to me?

I'm actually not using any default settings. I've added in more lights, tweaked some of the intensity values, started baking in some of the lights via lightmass with ambient occlusion/Screen space reflections and attempted to make further tweaks via post process volume. I'll admit, it can still be better but I want to know what else am I missing.

I've been trying to learn more sophisticated lighting like the one used in the UE4 Realistic Rendering example and more recently the UE4 Archviz lighting.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    So i'm not a prop artist but my advice for the time being is learn one thing at a time. Stop with unreal for the immediate moment, and learn to use zbrush. Make a nice highres model of a somewhat intricate prop...not just a barrel or a chair. Then learn to bake that down to a nice optimized lowpoly mesh. At this point, learn unreal and how to get your asset looking right in unreal. You can also start to learn about PBR as well. I think you are doing things out of order which will just overwhelm you. One thing at a time. Start simple and just make your way through making one awesome looking prop.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Edit: whoa, everyone else beat me to the punch. lol.
    In fact, +1 to slosh. He's got the right idea.

I've no time to do a full review right now but let me just give you some advice on looking more professional;

- Pay for a full weebly account to get a custom domain and no advertising banners. "jordannelson2.weebly.com" is pretty unprofessional. Why is there even a "2" there? Get Jordann.weebly.com at the very least (easier to remember, cleaner), but I suggest actually going and purchasing "jordannelson.com" or similar. Domain names aren't very costly, especially if you've got a longer, less common name.

While we're here, why the heck is your email "jordannelson3335@gmail.com"? Was jordannelson@gmail.com taken? Protip; when your name, username or alias is taken already, numbers are a last resort. There a few ways you could have an email that's your name without numbers, surely. It's really hard to remember a seemingly random string of numbers and it looks super unprofessional.

- Choose a simpler, more professional font. Unless you lead a double life as a graphic designer and know what you're doing, stick to "professional" fonts. Sans serif (the default one), Verdana, Helvetica, whatever Weebly lets you. But this "handwriting" junk just throws off the professionalism in this case. Especially since it's not the same fonts as your other subheadings nor the text on your renders.

- Ditch the work in progress category. It just makes it confused. Add a blog link, so if people are interested they can then head over there and take a look at what you're working on right now. That way they know how long you've been doing it and can watch your progress and see how you overcome obstacles.

- Ditch the 2D art and Photography. Put that on your blog, too. Other people may put this on their site because it directly ties in with the duties they expect to perform on the job, or it's super handy to have, or it shows they have exemplary skills in a few areas and they're applying to jobs that need both. You, however, are aiming for a junior 3D artist position, and none of this is required and a doubt it will be particularly valued. Focus on adding more to the 3D section, it's the only part that is super relevant to the positions you want right now.

Good luck, I'll probably pop back in later.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    BagelHero wrote: »

- Pay for a full weebly account to get a custom domain and no advertising banners. "jordannelson2.weebly.com" is pretty unprofessional. Why is there even a "2" there? Get Jordann.weebly.com at the very least (easier to remember, cleaner), but I suggest actually going and purchasing "jordannelson.com" or similar. Domain names aren't very costly, especially if you've got a longer, less common name.

While we're here, why the heck is your email "jordannelson3335@gmail.com"? Was jordannelson@gmail.com taken? Protip; when your name, username or alias is taken already, numbers are a last resort. There a few ways you could have an email that's your name without numbers, surely. It's really hard to remember a seemingly random string of numbers and it looks super unprofessional.

When I made the website, I was dirt poor. Actually, I am still dirt poor (that's why I'm working fast to get a game industry job).

There's no way my parents would be ok for paying a subscription service. Even my Unreal Engine 4 subscription lasted a month so I'm stuck with the March build.

I've been applying to McDonalds but I have no success. It's really hard to get in. I figure I rather just be a better artist and the money stuff can come later. I just needed a website at first.

The number was a path of least resistance. The name was taken and I wasn't sure what to do so I just added a single value. Same deal with the email (although I just happened to use that number combination so I associate it with myself).
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    And how do you think that approach might come off as to an employer? "Oh I just did the minimum amount to get by." Doesn't matter if it's true or not; it's a bad impression.

Get a better email (set up forwarding if you need to keep the old one) and weebly address at least, even if you can't pay for the custom domain right now. There's no excuse for these ones.

I feel you on the "no money" front, I really do. But in order to get a job in the industry, you have to look professional, and there's always a way to get that done no matter if you're broke or not. I am currently in my first paying 'indie gig' (technically an intern, lol) right now because I fronted the costs for a $15 domain name, wrote the site myself and begged a friend to host it on his servers for free art favors down the line (and, seriously, they sited one of the main reasons they picked me from an influx of other student portfolios as because I presented myself well, not necessarily that my content matched what they needed specifically). This also avoided the subscription fees, which I couldn't pay at the time and could only just manage even now, and that's why I chose that route. But I already knew HTML, so I digress; freeweebly is passable for now, but you need to make everything look as professional as possible within the boundaries you have.

Stop focusing on what you can't do. Work around it as best you can.
  • SecretPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I made the website, I was dirt poor. Actually, I am still dirt poor (that's why I'm working fast to get a game industry job).

There's no way my parents would be ok for paying a subscription service. Even my Unreal Engine 4 subscription lasted a month so I'm stuck with the March build.

I've been applying to McDonalds but I have no success. It's really hard to get in. I figure I rather just be a better artist and the money stuff can come later. I just needed a website at first.

The number was a path of least resistance. The name was taken and I wasn't sure what to do so I just added a single value. Same deal with the email (although I just happened to use that number combination so I associate it with myself).

Ah if you think McDonalds is bad, you might be in for a shocker, same goes for money issues :poly124:

For the time from which you have started, I think something must be going wrong in the process. Learning to learn is a skill of its own, especially when self teaching/learning on your own. Which relates to the what others mentioned, of being all over the place, instead start small than grow from there, forget doing an environment for now.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    SecretPro wrote: »
    Ah if you think McDonalds is bad, you might be in for a shocker, same goes for money issues :poly124:

For the time from which you have started, I think something must be going wrong in the process. Learning to learn is a skill of its own, especially when self teaching/learning on your own. Which relates to the what others mentioned, of being all over the place, instead start small than grow from there, forget doing an environment for now.

Despite my long departure and randomness, it's actually not that bad. I actually think I benefited from all this.

If these threads are to go by, I now have all the information needed to reach game industry professionalism. What's missing is I now just have to create the things people are asking for.

If I kept doing what I was doing back in February, I wouldn't have any textured props, with good lighting, presented on a website.

Whereas now it's like "Ok, I can make this hi poly gun, and then bake it down to a low poly one. Then I can UV it properly and plan out how to make the textures look very beat up and scratched looking in photoshop. Finally, I can present it being rendered in UE4 with physically based lighting and post processing and host all the related workflow files on a website with a professional name, layout etc".

So yeah, it looks complicated now but I'm hoping it only looks that way till I'm ready the next time, where everything will look complete and "wow" worthy.
  • CrackRockSteady
    There's definitely been some good advice given here, especially what slosh said. I would say, for where you are right now, forget about the website and really focus on the basics. Make a few smaller props, take your time, and do them well. Learn the process and make sure you're doing it right. Once you've got some really well done props that demonstrate your knowledge of the asset creation pipeline, then you can worry about a website to show off your work to potential employers. Until then it's just going to be a distraction and a time sink.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    SecretPro wrote: »

Money issues? I really gotta hear your explanation for this nugget.
  • SecretPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Money issues? I really gotta hear your explanation for this nugget.

That was a joking hint at the reality of salaries. You can take a look at the recent salary survey. To put it blunt should we be happy with middle income even though some of us have years of experience? Is not a big hit for single folks, but in the future when family is involved you realize how underpaid some skills are. Don't want to derail this too much, but figure I reply politely.

In all, just a fun reality joke, funny enough some indie do range the MacDonald salary income, sad but true.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    As others have point out, I'd remove the 2d and photography stuff.
    They are not working in your favor.

Unless you can make something cool they can use as concept art or inspiration or for setting the mood of the level/dungeon/scene. AND then you create the whole envo according to your concept, THAT would be cool.

Same with the drawn characters in there. If they don't 'wow' the audience, which they don't, then they will go '... What am I supposed to feel, Meh ?'

Might also want to show nice marble render and texture maps for the assets you finish as well. And make more of them ! Make a few set of them. And put them together to make an envo. You already have a Cabinet and a Sofa... Can you make Fireplace, awesome carpet, curtains, tables and tv set and lamp, then create a living room scene ? It would look much better that way.
  • Segreto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Segreto polycount sponsor
    Some good advice given here for sure. I was in your boat a several years ago. I graduated from school and floated around for a while not knowing what to do about myself. I only got out of that mess when I got it through my thick skull that I needed to focus and work harder.

From looking at everything and reading your posts, it sounds to me that you are stretching yourself thin on trying to learn too much all at the same time. Ditch updating the website at the moment (I understand doing it for university) but for now, I'd leave it for a while... and by a while I mean until you have work that can get you a job. When I was still new at this, I would update my site almost monthly with whatever trash I dug out of Max that week. I spent more time keeping people informed of my horrid skills than I did trying to learn.

Taking the time to learn a game engine like UE4 is important, but it's still secondary to your skills as an artist. You need to model and texture better. Having chairs and cabinets in your portfolio is fine, but by god they'd better be awesome. Whatever else you are doing that isn't modeling and texturing, drop it.

The one thing that I think could help you better, is simply more practice. You need to get faster so you can reiterate more. Join in on the weekly hard surface comps here or the noob enviro challenge. Model your little heart out to try and make the deadlines. You will get better and faster if you push yourself past your limits.

Aside from doing art, I understand the money issues that have been noted with not having your own email/domain name. It sucks when you aren't working. A couple years ago I went from a full-time well paying gig to nothing in a day, and you know what I did? I went to McDonalds and FedEx at the same time to make ends meet. I worked long hours and got paid shit, but some of my best art came out during that time because I felt a humongous pressure to get myself out that situation. Working and being able to take care of yourself will make you a better artist. Find a part-time job at least, it doesn't matter where, the benefits will pay out. Spend an entire day filling out applications if you have to. You will feel better about yourself and when you get off work you'll feel that much more inclined to get your ass in gear and practice.

Best of luck