Home General Discussion

Is Quixel cheating?

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Cheating ? What do you mean by cheating !?

I can either click a few buttons to make rusty metal plate in dDO.
    Or I can download/utilize a few ZBrush alphas and make it that way then bake it.
    Or I can download/utilize Photoshop brushes that do the same thing on the texture anyway.
    Or, you know, paint the damn thing in MS Paint.... or not.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Odow wrote: »
    The problem isn't if it's cheating or not but "if the company that employed you doesn't have quixel, can you do the same work by yourself or are you dependent on quixel ?" If you own capacity is nowhere near quixel i wouldn't used it on my portfolio, if you can achieve something similar but with more time, use it. It's like selling yourself as a cook when you only know how to cook frozen food, don't based your portfolio on one pricy software that most of company doesn't have.

I know this may be a problem for some companies but are most of studios really that against allowing artists use their own software?
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Quixel has separate licenses though. And even if you have your own studio license some (most?) studios won't allow you to use your own software.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    There's no "cheating" in game art imo, as long as the final result looks awesome it doesn't matter how you got there :)
  • hogjonny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hogjonny polycounter lvl 11
    The question is not if automation is cheating, it is if you understand what you are accomplishing.

Are you a production/corporate artist - because if so, then you balance the purity of the art against constraints of time/budget and needs of the project. The best production artist, will do it well, will do it fast, and do it with consistency. In that respect, so called 'cheating' is absolutely a goal, if not a necessity.

If it's about the purity and art, mastery and understanding is the ultimate goal.

But in the end, there is nothing wrong with shortcuts that get you exactly where you need to be.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Game Art? Wait... isn't that the thing where they fake high resolution CG? What a bunch of dirty rotten cheaters...