Home Technical Talk

Keyshot, Bump Maps, and Rendering Problems

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
whyareyoumakin1 polycounter lvl 7
Hi All,

I am trying to render a concept model for a Jewelry Pouch but I am having some troubles. I started with a ZBrush High Poly > Brought it into Maya and Made a Lowpoly > Baked the Highpoly to a normal map skinned on the low poly > Exported the Low Poly to Keyshot > Applied the normal map to the model in Keyshot. Here are my results

Maya:
5DB4nIW.png

Keyshot:
M7g5x2t.png

So you may notice there is something going on between the Maya and Keyshot versions. Before you mention it, Even at a bump height of 5 the effect of the bump map is small, i reduced the bump height to 1 and I still had this shading or lighting problem. Or whatever it is, i'm not even sure if that is the issue.

I have attempted inverting the bump map green channel, and inverting the bump height to -5 but still it looks... i don't know, inverted or inside out. If anyone is Knowledgeable about this specific topic and problem, I would definitely appreciate you wisdom. I'm sure its something simple/obvious like invert both the green and red channel or something but I've been jousting with this specific issue for 2 hours now and i think its time to request some assistance

Thanks,
Lucas Michel

P.s. Here is a shot of another model I rendered in Keyshot, so you know the overall look I'm trying to achieve

ZOSITHV.jpg

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know much about keyshot but it looks like you have a normal map loaded as a bump map.
  • whyareyoumakin1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it might be something like that. Although there is a checkbox to tell Keyshot that the loaded texture is a Normal Map not a bump and I've checked it, its in this screenshot. I have Inverted the bump height to -1.7 and altered some of the environmental and camera settings to make it look a bit better but I'm still feeling like the lighting on the right side looks... Improperly shadowed.

P2Fpia0.png

P.s. You don't know this but you actually taught me to bake! (I read through one of your tutorials on how to improve the quality of your bakes when I first started modeling.)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh you might need to invert your green channel.
  • whyareyoumakin1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I troubleshot through a few of the problems with the earlier render. I inverted the green channel and reset my environmental settings. Additionally it turns out the company I work for has an Embedded color setting in Photoshop when it comes to saving out .tiff and .targa files that was throwing off the render. I also toyed a bit with the spec map and applied a proper color map, so that helped.

NdZcsdm.jpg

DShH81G.png