Home Quixel Megascans

Question: Handpainting/editing , Texture resolution

Hangs
null
Offline / Send Message
Hangs null
Hi everyone (especially the quys from Quixel :) ),

I was wondering if its possible to use own handpainted layers and mask, wich are used in all channels. I tried a few things but nothing worked out.

The second thing was, how do i change the texture resolution, as far as i get it the texture resolution is the same as the input maps, but maybe i want to lower or higher the resolution. Do i just use the Image size in photoshop to change it ? or what i have to do ?

cheers
Dominic

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Hangs!

You can very much use your own handpainted layers/masks!
    There are better support coming for painting directly on your textures in release 1.4, but in the meantime i recommend you make your own masks!

Create a new PS document, (I usually do all my own masks or patterns as i call them in 4k resolution) Create your desired design in black and white, remember to make it tileable!

In DDO chose from the drop down menu "Import material". In the albedo slot of the new window you put your black and white mask and click create, I recommend you save it in the "Patterns" catalog in DDO for ease of use.

Now your new patters/masks are available in the materials library and can be used in the Dynamask editor!

You change texture resolution by changing the size of the input maps! Also be ware of Texel desity!

Anything else, just let me know!
  • Hangs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hangs null
    Hi Eric,

Thanks for your answer.
    I am looking forward to see the painting working directly in dDo. Especially when i only want to mask out a small bit of a material i dont want to create a whole material for it.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i understand, you can already paint directly on a mask, but it will dissapear if you enter dynamask after that, so its not yet non destructive. But it can be done in a pinch, better functionality for this is coming soon!
  • Hangs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hangs null
    More Questions Came up :D
    Is it possible to do a mask based on the now existing/manipulated AO or Normalmap instead of using the base map ?
    For example i have a plane area and applie a brick material to it. Next i want to get moss inside of the gaps between the bricks so i have to do a mask based on the changes the brick material did on the AO or Normal.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that is a very good question, It is actually a feature that is being implemented right now! So it is coming very soon!