Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character training

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Samuraigun7 polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys I was hoping i could get some feedback on my work that i am going to be posting. I really want to improve on my character work. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

OSVpXsC.png

Replies

• Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    Other views will greatly help viewers to give better feedback. From what I can see from just the front view is that her nostril crease (alar nasal sulcus) needs more depth to it. You can use the Dam Standard brush to get a nice dig in that area, though masking the cheek around it and building up the nostril may be better.

Overall she has a very soft face making her look very young, if that's intended then you're on the right path. If you have a specific reference posting images of that will definitely help feedback too.

So far so good, keep it up and I'll keep checking your work out =D
  • Samuraigun7
    Offline / Send Message
    Samuraigun7 polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the feedback Lavitz

There was really no reference for the face it was just a whole bunch of different picture i looked at
    I forgot the other views here the are i havent done anything on it yet just been busy at work.

sITSePC.png

PaBCcd5.png
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    You have some really nice facial features, but i think you're focusing too much on the details and not the overall appearance.

You should form the head as a whole an build on detail as you go.

Thats my advice, here's a paint over to show my suggestions for improvement.

iMgy70N.jpg
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with iadagraca, your features are pretty solid, but I feel like the form isn't there. At this point the move brush may keep your details, but in the future try to stay away from details until you've nailed the form.

I usually look at a lot of different reference myself, but I stick to a specific style for a character. In your case you look like you have a mixed bunch in there.

I did some paintovers myself, I don't mean to step on iadagraca's toes just thought the more the merrier.
    Here's a Gif with some adjustments and painting:
    Side_zps64c1e83b.gif~original
    Here's a still:
    Side_zps85dd7e00.jpg~original
    and here's an attempt at your 3/4ths view:
    Perspect_zps71e1863d.jpg~original
    Perspective_zps6d13ef01.jpg~original
  • Felixenfeu
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    There was really no reference for the face it was just a whole bunch of different picture i looked at.

That's your first biggest mistake. You can't make study without reference. Go choose an actor or a specific person, get as much reference as you can, and work toward making your sculpt look as close as possible as the original reference.

You could start too by making some anatomy study. That would be the best to be honest. Sspecially with face planes and proportions. That would be a great start. It looks boring, but it's really the best way you can improve. Here is a good start for facial planes :
    https://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/?menu=9&sub=22#body