Home General Discussion

Bleeding Textures

Odins3d
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Odins3d polycounter lvl 5
Question for all texturing artists I'm trying to figure out how to figure out of to calculate pixel in my uvs. I'm want to do this so when uving I can figure out how far my shells need to be apart when I bleed textures.(in maya)

Replies

• S_ource
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I sometimes make a noise image in Photoshop in the same size as the texture i think i will use. And use that in the UV editor (the noise will add one "noise dot" every pixel). Then at least you know how much pixels you have.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    It depends on how many levels of mipmap your game is rendering, but I like to give at least 8px on a 1024x1024, that means if it goes to 256px you still have 2px of safety, and 128px, 1px of safety.

Inside Maya you can automatically do that on your layout uvs, there's an option there. after you layout you can see by eyes how much you need for a specific resolution, I usually do that as a test and then layout the size i really need.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Yep, good guideline. However it totally depends on your texture size, and what texture filtering your game engine uses. You'll have to do some testing to see what works best in your situation. For example, I get very different bleeding problems in Unreal PC vs. Wii vs. a custom engine for mobile.