Home General Discussion

Tips on Hand Painting Plaster

Hi guys.

I've started doing hand painted textures in a Warcraft-ish style.

I've tried to hand paint plaster walls, as seen in this screenshot:

GT4PMYf.jpg

So far, I've only acomplished this, and I'm not very proud of it:
5ZD3lsZ.jpg

Ive done it with a difference clouds layer with a multiply layer style.

Does anybody have any tips or comments on how you usually go about painting plaster like this? :)

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    I would color sample a lot and possibly use a noisy brush to paint in texture but there isn't really any secret tricks to doing textures like this, you just have to paint it.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I would color sample a lot and possibly use a noisy brush to paint in texture but there isn't really any secret tricks to doing textures like this, you just have to paint it.

This.

I see a lot of people looking for filters to get 'hand-painted' textures. The best way to learn is to roll up your sleeves and slog through the pixels.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    OK, there is a sort of filter trick. Take a photo-sourced texture and play around with the reduce noise filter at max strength while playing around with the sharpen details slider, you can run it multiple times.

You can then color sample & paint over it, it's not a replacement for painting skill and if you aren't careful it will be noisy and obviously photo-sourced. There are times when I've done this where I was able to hide the bottom photo layer because I had completely painted over it; it helps give you a baseline to riff of.

BUT

I think it's best to learn how to paint it on your own before you use any shortcuts, you have to paint Mr. Miyagi's fence before you learn the Crane Kick.
  • Møkz