Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shrike's portfolio and gamdesign blog (+Free stuff!)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Shrike interpolator
Poly.png

Hey guys

Now its finally my turn to get judged and flamed, so please enjoy doing so

I try giving honest feedback here on a regular basis, nobody is helped by saying "yea its great"
and while I genuinely enjoy doing so, I would still be very happy if you could do me the favor
and critique the living hell out of my page ; )

I am more of a game designer and the focus is on that part clearly,
but there is plenty of art stuff to see, and there are some (hopefully!)
interesting things to read for everyone that cares about making games.

There is free stuff for you guys to grab to make this more fun for everyone (maybe i take that down later, tell me)

A) Tiling camouflage texture pack for weapons or vehicles
B) Many custom masks and patterns in 2k

pol.jpg

Be so kind and fill out the form at the bottom of the homepage!

Please be really nitpicky guys, I want to hear every detail. And tell
me what to throw out, especially on the art page, im very biased towards that stuff. Im currently working full time++ on it and want it ready by tuesday, so I would really appreciate your input at the very moment ! ; )

To do:

Upload GDD document (having trouble with Word PDF export quality..)
Release most important article "Playertypes.."
Throw out all that is not up to level (Tell me!)
Rework formatting of articles
Upload CV + facebook Linkedin

Replies

• BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I am confused... is this your portfolio? What is your goal with this website?
  • cR45h
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, everything seems a bit hectic and disorganized (even tho its not). Theres too much stuff being thrown in my face and I don't know whats what. The game design tab is cool (tl;dr but pics were cool) but I wouldn't make that the first page. As a portfolio you want your first page to throw art in the person thats viewing it's face. When I see cool art, I click it and I expect to see more art. Nobody likes reading too much text (or, at all as far as I can see). So 'Design' and 'Art' should switch places imo.

Also, get to adding your email as quick as possible. I've seen people get more work from showing off portfolios here then in the 'looking for contract work' subforum.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Yea those are good comments, I am currently trying to get everything more in line
    and mainly rework the art page. But please tell me some things to cut
    I edited the main post a bit to make things more clear
  • cR45h
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    I would get everything sorted out first. Your art page seems like a bunch of random ingame screenshots from random games making me unsure of whats yours and whats not (not doing any reading, basically doing what a potential client would do and just scrolling trough). I would separate stuff there into 2d/3d/interface/whatever to make things a bit more clear.

Took a second look at the design page and even tho I mostly figured it out, Its still pretty confusing. I'd sort out and name everything there. My main advice is still to switch it with the art page.

Oh and maybe possibly remove that ingame pic with the AK. Really doesn't look up to par compared to the other stuff.

Rest is good really, just needs some organizing and possibly more shots of the guns and similar assets.

e: just read this
    The goal is to have a nice looking website that hosts all my blog/article entries for the moment and the
    future, the portfolio element is more secondairy. For now, there are not many articles, so theres more
    portfolio things to compensate."
    I would make up my mind on the subject. Go for either one or the other. Ideally I'd have the blog/articles and portfolio on 2 different websites for fairly obvious reasons. Read the portfolio guidelines that are somewhere around here if you want a more in-depth explanation of it.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Aaalright guys, I made some heavy changes to adress the strange hierarchy and Im a lot happier now after I having to think very hard how to solve it

Im not happy about the blue text, but ill find a way

Please tell me what to cut and what you do not like guys!

To do: Formatting of articles + polish
    To do: More and better descriptions and add missing stuff
    To do: Check consistency and polish across the board