Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Samnwck

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
samnwck polycounter lvl 9
Hi everyone,

This will be my place to hopefully grow and become a better artist and as this goes on I really hope a lot of growth will be seen over time.

So a bit about me, I've been doing 3D modeling for about a month now. Though I had a bit of prior experience in 3ds Max from back in my high school days, though that was nearly 6 years ago now. But recently I have been having this itch in the back of my mind that I really want to be a part of the video game or even movie industry and I feel like if I don't scratch the itch now I never will.

So for my first project I will be showcasing in this sketchbook will be my first head sculpts. Heads have been something I had tried to do in Zbrush since day one. With horrid results. But lately I decided to keep working at it and I spent all day on the same project until I tweaked it exactly into something that looked like it could actually be a person.

So from left to right is my journey in head making. Left being oldest.
C8xQwtL.jpg
11TLN1w.jpg
QqOh9O1.jpg
ySy49YX.jpg

And today I finished up a low poly version of the head and unwrapped. Both the low poly and the UV unwrap on it are... Rough, to say the least. But practice makes perfect and I may still go back and redo it. But by the end of today I just wanted to try baking for the first time so I was a little rushed by the end of the unwrap.

So here is the retopology
jMWdA8r.jpg
and here is the bake
zMLooNX.jpg
B8ggY5z.jpg
and lastly a look at the normals to give a bit of perspective of the uv's.
sh0EUMY.jpg

Anyways, criticism would be great, even if you say it's a piece of crap just tell me why it's a piece of crap :), I can't get better if I don't know.

Replies

• Joel Gafford
    Offline / Send Message
    Joel Gafford polycounter lvl 9
    The topology could be slightly better if you eliminated more of the triangles, but overall I think it's a great sculpt. I would suggest that you work on the overall form longer before you go into the details because it looks a bit "lumpy?" in places. Again, the more sculpts you do, the better your artistic eye will become in recognizing things like this and correcting them with little or no thought at all.

Great sculpt nonetheless!
  • samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    Well thank you very much. I agree quite a bit about the topology. It's all part of learning I guess. I just need to look other people's work and look the most efficient ways to do it. And the lumpiness of the sculpt I think was because of me adding in the pores and the size of the brush still pulled up little bits leaving little lumpy trails all over :P. I need to learn to add texture without making that happen.

Anyway. I have decided to continue the model and this is my first full body sculpt and overall I'm pretty happy with it. Before Zbrush seemed so daunting but now that I'm getting over the main hump of the learning curve I'm really starting to be able to realize its true power. It can only go up from here hopefully hahaha. Comments and criticism very much wanted, specifically on proportions and any major body structures I might not have shown that I should've.
    CIgV6cS.jpg
    NfTasC4.jpg