Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] The Lost Cave

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ArtbyV polycounter lvl 8
Hey all,

Looking for some feedback on my first environment for UE4.

www.artbyv.com/thelostcave.html

I did get some feedback in my portfolio thread about my sculpts not being up to par. That's something I'm working on. What else does this need to really shine?

Replies

• ArtbyV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtbyV polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm. Just realized my embedded YouTube video didn't show.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l47Hrk3Zj4"]The Lost Cave - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a couple pics too.

thelostcave3.jpg

thelostcave2.jpg
  • The_Korrupt_One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The_Korrupt_One polycounter lvl 6
    Reminds me a bit of my final year uni piece. The one thing that stood out straight away to me was that the light coming from the torches is flat, It should be flickering.
  • ArtbyV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtbyV polycounter lvl 8
    Reminds me a bit of my final year uni piece. The one thing that stood out straight away to me was that the light coming from the torches is flat, It should be flickering.

Yeah, I agree. That's something I know how to do in Kismet, but I haven't figured out how to do that in UE4 yet. Haven't really messed with Blueprints that much. I'd like to add caustic effects from the water and a couple God rays too.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    The scene itself seems ok. the main thing that stands out to me that you could work on in future pieces is your Diffuse & Normal maps. Primarily for the rocks

Diffuse: Most of your small details should be contained in the diffuse any additional details (up close) you could use a detail normal map. I would go a little easier on the AO overlay as it starts to become very overpowering and basically solid Black.

Normal: theres not much point adding all the little grain details to your normal as most will be lost during the bake or just pixely bumps which is what is happening in This Image. Your normal map should be pretty clean and sharp to keep your rocks looking more like rocks.

Overall they look very muddy which is a combination of the grainy normal map, over the top AO & lighting shadows on top. Hope what I mentioned above helps, good luck for the future!