Home Technical Talk

Cannot export a model from Mudbox to Maya.

This is part of a sofa I am working on; the cushions exported just fine, but for some reason this portion is just refusing to finish exporting:

http://i.imgur.com/VXkUUur.png[1]

It has been stuck like this for 2 hours.

I would think my PC would be able to handle it, but in case I'm wrong, here are the specs:

Intel QuadCore i7 950 @ 3.07GHz
24 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

The highest subdivision level in the model is 4, but there is another sculpt layer that is level 3.

All I want to do is get this model into Maya. What am I doing wrong? Is there another way of going about exporting this?

Replies

• MethodJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ polycounter lvl 4
    First - are you 'sending to maya', or are you exporting to fbx? Sending can be problematic, whereas FBX or OBJ tend to be more reliable.

Other things to try are to collapse all your sculpt layers down to make the simplest mesh possible. Ditto for paint layers. If there is something wrong with your object, you could try using the retopology function to create a duplicate that has all the same details, and then try exporting that instead.

Also - do you need the entire high poly object in maya? If you can use a lower-res with a baked normal/displacement, that might be easier on your machine. But with 24gb of ram this probably isn't the issue.
  • Valkyrian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ wrote: »
    First - are you 'sending to maya', or are you exporting to fbx? Sending can be problematic, whereas FBX or OBJ tend to be more reliable.

Other things to try are to collapse all your sculpt layers down to make the simplest mesh possible. Ditto for paint layers. If there is something wrong with your object, you could try using the retopology function to create a duplicate that has all the same details, and then try exporting that instead.

Also - do you need the entire high poly object in maya? If you can use a lower-res with a baked normal/displacement, that might be easier on your machine. But with 24gb of ram this probably isn't the issue.

Right now, I'm just trying to export to FBX.

Noob question, but what do you mean by "collapsing" down the sculpt layers? Lowering their subdivision levels?

I have tried retopologizing, but it has also proven to be a tedious process because of how long it takes for Transfer Details to finish.
  • MethodJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ polycounter lvl 4
    Right click over in the sculpt layer palette, there is a collapse or merge option there, similar to photoshop.

You could also try ripping the detail as a 32 bit displacement map, and then use the 'sculpt using texture' option to project the displacement onto it. That might be a quicker way than transfer detail/retopo to create a duplicate to export out.