Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RU556 | Textures

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Xero3D polycounter lvl 2
I didn't model this, it was made by ImBrokeRU, I'm sure many people have seen it, but anyways, I textured this a few months ago and it seemed good back then ( Somehow ). But I re-textured it and it took about roughly 5.5 hours but I fixed it. Here's the comparison.

BEFORE >>

screenshot0.png

screenshot1.png

AFTER >>

screenshot001.png

screenshot002.png

Replies

• Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I like it a lot. Could you show some in different lighting situations?
  • Xero3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Xero3D polycounter lvl 2
    Stirls wrote: »
    I like it a lot. Could you show some in different lighting situations?

Ok .. SO, when I opened back up marmoset toolbag to go for some more lighting situations, this happened >>

But I don't know why it happened because I didn't even touch the textures at all.

83nNx8z.png
  • Xero3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Xero3D polycounter lvl 2
    Ok I somehow fixed that little problem I had .. and then I did some more renders for you guys.

screenshot006.png

screenshot007.png

screenshot008.png

screenshot009.png
  • Rumkugel
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    The wear and tear appears to be random.. Materials dont read well too.
    All appears to be metal. Everything has the same scratches.

You have to add wear and tear to the more prominent edges, and not just around screws, and ovrerall dings.

The Mag Pull on the mag is actually rubber.. yours looks rather like painted alluminum.

All tan parts seem to be the same material.

Grip, Stock and AFG Grip, are a polymere, just as the mag.

Take out that overal dirt map.. observe real guns and see where dirt gets into.

The KX3 Flashhider has wrong proportions and some pretty ugly seam around..
    Dings wouldnt appear around the locking spring, but rather at the front, prominent edges, and some surface..

All Metal parts look alike aswell. They shouldnt.
    Metal coats, (phosphorized, anodized etc.. ) look all different. Gather some ref mate.
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    What Rumkugel said; reference is key. You really need to get a good balance between low frequency (big shapes) and high frequency (small shapes) and put some thought into how those shapes would form on the texture instead of haphazardly scratching all the surfaces uniformly.

http://oesterkilde.dk/racer445.html Racer's tutorial here is an excellent read on the theory aspect of texturing.
  • Xero3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Xero3D polycounter lvl 2
    Ok I actually decided to start over so this is what I have right now. Is the damage any better? lol

screenshot007.png