Home General Discussion

Interstellar

Replies

• Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Literally just got home from movies.

Was really interesting and cool to watch, but a few parts I couldn't take so seriously. I definietly feel like they should have left some things a bit more ambiguous/or condensed, especially the ending. Overall however, the movie was definitely inspired by 2001 and was fantastic to see another movie like it.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    God why did i decide to fucking look at this thread. I came out on such a high then i decided to read this on the train home....

Uuuugh.

I was with the film edge of my seat head seated on my hands in awe. It was beautiful, forceful loud and intellectual. Sure there were a few dumb things.

But I'm happy that we are actually attempting to make movies to intellectually inspire people rather than just scare them about the future.

However, if you really are itching for something amazingly scientifically correct. Go watch an anime series called planetes. Seriously, it is by far the best hard sci-fi story i have ever seen, in film, tv or hollywood. In fact i just want to go watch it all again.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    oh my god, finally got some time to watch this. I dont even know what to say, there are no words that can describe how I feel about this movie...

it was simple amazing.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Really really enjoyed this film, left the cinema wanting to know more about the whole science aspect of the film (concepts which I had studied a while ago at school).

I'll try and watch it again before it leaves the cinemas, so good!
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loved it!
    One of the rare movies these days that made me want to watch it again right after, know more about the science behind it, listen to the soundtrack.. :thumbup:
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Amazing movie, soundtrack is definately one to que up for during sculpt sessions. :P
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I think that this movie definitely falls into two camps for people, those that kept the suspension of disbelief, and those that didn't.

If you managed to keep a check on your critical eye it was an absolutely amazing ride. But as soon as you break out and start saying, yeah that was dumb, the rest will seem dumb.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    SPOIL !
    To me the narration was more similar to Abyss/Contact than 2001 or Solaris. But...less good. Tbh i didn't feel anything, apart when he ejects the robot. Too much basic incoherency ruins the fun, like they need a saturn V to leave earth, but then, they just use their small shuttle to leave a planet with more gravity than earth, etc..Felt like back to the future was more coherent with time shifting :D Now i'm fine with all the holes thingy, even if highly imossible, but it was made decently.

Too much american "good feelings", like "love travels through time and space, it will save the wolrd" blabla. I was like "nooooo, pleaaaase,dont ruin the movie with armageddon bs love"

Nice visuals for sure, clear tribute to 2001, but that's it. Made me even more realise how 2001 is insane. Lot of ads for hamilton watches too...
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I think the ship could have probably left earth without the rocket, but they did it that way to save fuel. one of their finite resources for their mission. using a rocket would allow them to save a shit ton of fuel to break the atmosphere. they brought up the fuel thing multiple times throughout the movie...
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Noors wrote: »
    SPOIL !
    "love travels through time and space, it will save the wolrd" blabla. I was like "nooooo, pleaaaase,dont ruin the movie with armageddon bs love"

That was a metaphor... Don't take it literally. Matthew Mccanauhghehehahahey shoots it down moments after anyway ;)
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Well yeah, i get it's a metaphor, i'm not that dumb :p
    It was just so cheesy and predictable that i almost cried. Yeah, it doesn't have much importance fortunately.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Noors wrote: »
    Well yeah, i get it's a metaphor, i'm not that dumb :p
    It was just so cheesy and predictable that i almost cried. Yeah, it doesn't have much importance fortunately.

yes that was the the only real facepalm moment for me in the movie and at that point my expectations of the story were extremely low. turned out pretty awesome in the end though, once they picked up the pace.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    I rarely enjoyed a movie that much in theaters. It gave me what Gravity promessed me. I was blown away. And that soundtrack, oh God. Will watch it again, (and I never watch a movie twice).
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    for all those armchair astrophysicists scoffing and thinking they are soooooo supremely informed.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7tV7v71k-I"]Neil deGrasse Tyson on "Interstellar" - YouTube[/ame]
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Saw it finally this weekend in IMAX. ERMAHGERD! This movie was phenomenal! It was beyond what I even expected. And that sound track was hauntingly beautiful.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    agreed anthony. just saw it this weekend too (not in imax :( ) but holy crap was it amazing!!!!
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    also saw it in imax here - I thought the movie got really really shaky towards the end which is strange and kind of disappointing to build up all that correct hard science and then go like
    'hey it turns out the black hole is actually a house for future me who harnessed the fourth dimension with a very strange restriction of only making things fall down or move very slightly in that specific house'. it was,, quite a stretch especially for a movie that was very reserved about the fiction in the science until now
    . the
    scene with the giant wave planet where the lady scientist goes like 'she must have died only minutes before' while the actual signal died years ago really brought together the whole relative time thing. very cool
    and that was my favourite scene
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Finally saw this today. I didn't hate it, but I was definitely very disappointed.

On the one hand, all the space stuff looked great. I wasn't a big fan of the spacecraft designs, but they seemed functional enough and I'll give 'em a pass. The black hole and wormhole were very well done and it was very evident they did their research.

On the other hand, the story was fucking stupid. The ENTIRE PLOT could have been made a moot point by some random intern at NASA saying "Hey guys, maybe we should have probes that could fly back and forth between the ends of the wormhole so we can use them to transmit messages." The entire plot of the film was complete and utter horse shit that simply didn't need to happen.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    watched yesterday. late. but did.

four words:

BLEW

MY

FUCKING

MIND.

in five dimensions.

man, those three hours flew by, and i didnt want the movie to end... great movie.