Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Layered" skin - zbrush

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
amoeba polycounter lvl 13
I'm trying to use a picture I found on cgsociety as a reference.

I'm still very bad at zbrush so I'll have to ask for some tips unfortunately.

I'm trying to use Dynamesh/zremesher.

Image 1

These are my results, in my opinion, terrible. But I'd like to know how to make the skin seem stretched and ripping apart like in the reference.

Should every patch of ripped skin be a seperate geometry that I then try to weave together or is it simpler to try to "draw" the details on the surface of a single mesh, similar to what I was attempting but failed?

Image 2

Here I attempted to add extra geometry for the lose, hanging/torn skin but it caused me a lot of trouble. First of all I couldn't make it too thin without getting problems once I tried to re-dynamesh.

Another problem I have is that when I re-dynamesh, thing such as fingers will connect and get destroyed. Unless I make each finger a seperate polygroup. And check the "groups" button in the dynamesh settings. That however creates other bigger problems since the fingers won't be connected to the palm of the hand anymore.

Image 3

closer up of the topology after remeshing.

I'm just asking for general tips on how this character would generally be done?

I'm already at the highest polycount I can go to so I can't subdivide more, the whole body is 1 mesh. Should I try to seperate limbs/head into multiple meshes and try to hide the seams with torn skin perhaps, to get a higher polycount per limb?

Thanks.