Home Quixel Megascans

Quixel model scale?

Hello,

I'm really enjoying Quixel Suite, but I have a major problem. I have an object lets say in MODO its 1.5x1.5x0.64m size, I export it to OBJ do all the necessary steps and then I open it in Quixel with all the maps, it look really small ( judging from texture size on it ).
I opened free learning file with helmet and I noticed that it's 145x145x115m ( that's very big for a helmet :D ).
So I would ask is how should I approach this issue with my files? Just sale them to whatever size or there is an other way?
Thank you.

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi dariuskk!

You say "Judging from the texure size on it", you mean that the scale of the textures are wrong? Maybe your texel desnsity isn't matching the scale you're trying to achieve? :)
  • DariusK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what is texel density? I tried scaling the model from original size to x100 times and I got a slightly better result but still. etc I put sand texture on the wheel and I can see big sand grains or I put cammo texture on a jerry can and I see only one cammo patch. As well if I try to scale the texture to -8 it does the same effect as to +8.
    Thanks for the help.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    It sounds like a texel density issue then. I can't believe there isn't a Wiki page for it yet, but check out this thread.

Also, you can adjust the scale(or amount of tiling) for most textures. But for the camo pattern, they use a separate mask for each color, so you have to scale it in the mask itself.
  • DariusK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I have read this article understood maybe 50% of it but I don't think this is the case or maybe I am just stupid :D well just lets say I don't have too much experience in this matter. So here is what I get by doing stuff. Maybe this will help to understand my problem better ;]
    oRRZWFL.jpg?1
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm im a. It confused by this.. Is this one of the smart materials fromthe suite or your own texture? Are you working in full resolution?
  • DariusK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi. This is standard Quixel sand material. Resolution is default haven't changed that at all. The unwrap map is 512x512 I believe. This happens to all of my models and I don't know why. I guess I am messing something up on some step but I have no idea were.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It might be that 512x512 is to low, try to make all your input maps 2048x2048 just to see what happens!
  • DariusK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG! well it worked I baked 4x4k and looks great, will see how it will work with multiple objects on 4x4k map. I also increased object scale in xNormal to 10 instead of 1.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to hear dariusk! I think you can go lower with the resolution if you want but then you might have to change texel density, play around with it a bit and im sure you'll get the hang of it! And don't forget to post your stuff in the pimp thread! :)