Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Recruiting team for Oculus Rift VR Experience for upcoming conference.

Hello Polycount Community,

My name is Matt, I’m an advertising graduate, entrepreneur and passionate fan of the video game and the video game community and I’m writing to you today to reach out to the Polycount community about a developing start-up happening in Boston, MA and of an opportunity that I hope will excite you. But before I get into that I should give a you a little backstory about how this all came to be; like most students my age I graduated into one of the worst economy’s the US has seen in years. I bounced around with little more than my degree in hand approaching each possible job opportunity only to be turned away at the door for “lack of experience”, I’m sure many of you have also faced the same and have frustrated by it, sharing the same thoughts as I, “I want to get experience so I’ll apply for this entry level job, but in order to get the job I first have to have experience.” Feeling like I was caught in an eternal catch-22 I opted to try something completely different, radical and dare I say a little insane: I opted to begin my own tech start-up, a start-up dedicated to creating experiences. Taking what little I had from a recent tax refund, my connections and passion for gaming and creative skills I begun development of I hope will soon become a successful business. After weeks of emails, phone conversations and introductions (keep in mind thus far I’m the only person solely dedicated to this project! Crazy but true.) I’m happy to report that my efforts have begun to pay off and that I have finally secured my first client and now I need your help!
ABX14_banner728x90.jpg

Project Background:
After weeks of emails with various Massachusetts state institutions I recently was approached by the Boston Public Health Commission (BPHC) and the Boston Society of Architect (BSA) and had a sit down meeting with them lasts week to discuss the upcoming Architecture Boston Expo (ABX) in October. They’re expressed interested in having a virtual reality experience developed for their booth that will demonstrate the applications of public open space design (Ex: Examples of public open space such as: parks, urban sanctuaries, public gardens, nature trails, etc.) Their goal is to help spread awareness among designers and architects on how to consciously develop/plan nature into urban environment whether this means though sustainable infrastructures or consciously planned spaces for public use. Although my current capabilities are incredibly limited (I currently only have (1) copy of the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 currently on order) they expressed an interest in going forward with this anyways in spite of my limitations, however due to the close proximity of the conference they said they were unable to offer a budget at this time (this is still pending and under negotiation) which is why I am posting this here and funding this primarily out of my own pocket (and being honest, student pockets aren’t that deep these days). However, for those who are generous enough to lend their skills and time for this project I will be act as your professional liaison and will try to develop as many business connections among the thousands of design, architectural and construction professionals at this conference.

Who I am looking for:
Preference will be given to those residing in the Boston area; however I am opening up applications as a remote opportunity as well. I am looking students & young professionals such as myself who are eager to build up their portfolio, gain some exposure and lend a hand in a small business start-up, as well as seasoned professionals who may be generous enough to lend their skills and time as part of this ambitious project. Professionalism and punctuality will be paramount in this project, maintaining clear lines of communication as well we regular progress updates will be vital as this is a live project for a real client.

Who do you need?
-Environmental Artists - Capable of recreating real life parks and outdoor spaces from still images, your work will the delivery vehicle carrying the message of the importance of environmentally conscious design to design professionals; a message from the virtual world to the real world. The use of stock assets will be permitted and understanding and internalizing this design principals and having them reflect in your work will be pivotal.
-Scripting – Pacing will be very important as users will need to be kept within their allotted time to ensure a steady turnover rate at the booth, yet at the same time (hopefully) feel refreshed and unrushed in their virtual experience
-Sound Engineers – A properly crafted VR experience is only as immerse as the sound the user is exposed to and I’m looking for those who have an understanding about the perception of sound and how it affects user experience. Recreating the sound of tree’s rustling in the wind, running water and the sound of the city far off in the distance will create an environment that will whisk them away from the confusion of the conference floor.

As is pretty obviously clear, I’m in the process of learning all the sublet elements of what makes up a video game and how to put this all together, so if there is a position or role you feel maybe necessary or drop me line. Also if you are studio who maybe interested in helping out with a project such as this feel free to reach out and I’ll see what I can do!

What is the final product are you aiming for?
When all is said and done and keeping in mind details will change as I have yet to get word back on the specifics it will be a 6-10 minute virtual experience in which a user will be able to walk around and enjoy the landscape and scenery, read a few small plaque detailing about the design principals that went in creating this experience and act as a “virtual oasis” from the hustle and bustle of the conference floor. Speaking from my own extensive personal experiences from conference/conventions as both vendor, attendee and staff, a moment of relaxing respite amidst the rush of people this will be very warmly received. User interaction will be kept to a minimum as this

Technical Specifications:
(Subject to change)
-Unreal Development Kit w/ Oculus Rift plugin –or- Unity with Oculus Rift plugin.
-Familiarity with modeling environments based off of real world ares a plus

When apply please be sure to link to your portfolio, resume, contact information along with a brief description as to why you want to join this project and what you can bring. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to send me a message via Polycount or email me directly at Myostudios@gmail.com

Sincerely yours,
Matt

Oculus.jpg.jpg