Home Technical Talk

Best way to render this interior scene

Mayalicious
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Mayalicious polycounter lvl 8
Hello i am looking for solutions to properly light my interior scene in Arnold. It is a computer lab with limited windows. It has lots of reflective materials. Here is a screen shot from the scene. Whats the best way to render this with Arnold?

2ebe1xu.jpg

I have also one more question about modeling. How can i harden those edges in subdivision mode without adding extra edge loops around head? Thanks!

dq3n0o.jpg

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say the best way to render is to press the render button, or whatever the equivalent option in Arnold is. Is there a certain look you're going for? Photorealism or something more stylized? Will this be rendered top-down like you show or from somewhere inside, what kind of light/shadow do you want? With the only thing you've given to go on, I'd say that you probably want some strong lights coming from that window. If you haven't already, read through the documentation for basic info on rendering. It's much easier to answer specific questions.

For keeping the hard edge on your model, give this thread a read. You'll want supporting edge loops along the sharp corners, try extruding the sunken faces and scaling them down as a start.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's not a whole lot to set with Arnold when it come to rendering really. Just 4 sliders for different aspects of quality, that's it. Unless you need advice with other aspects such as lighting, shading, etc.
  • Rufus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say try it with a slight directional light through the windows, and a few mesh lights for interior. Take a look at this tutorial also.
  • Rufus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say try it with a slight directional light through the windows, and a few mesh lights for interior. Also, take a look at this tutorial