Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UMTC - Alien Ancient Ruins

Hi guys,

I stumbled upon this contest quite late. I hope it´s not too late. There is not that much time left for me, but it´s fun anyway and a good learning process for me. I decided to go for the ancient ruin setting. I liked the idea that it´s something from an ancient alien culture.

First I took one blockout pic, which was provided by epic, that fits the best for me. I changed the mood to a more darker setting. ...
AD2GqIZ.jpg

...Then I started roughly to make the edges and shapes more organic...
94PpjmO.jpg

..., therefore I considered to make it look more like a bonestructure.
7L0FJvB.jpg

Replies

• soshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, Asim! I'm really liking the way your concept evolves and I'm really looking forward to it. I especially like the general shape of the room which is not too simple yet not too complicated. I'm also digging the combination of greyish and greenish colors and the shape of the bones in the corners. The runes on the walls are a great idea. So far I'm getting the impression that this is some kind of an alien tomb or temple. If it's a tomb maybe there could be alien mummies or sarcophagi kind of floating in the green liquid or energy. There's just something about your wip that really grabbed me :D I wish you good luck!
    And don't worry about the deadline because it's the general idea of the concept that is the most important.
  • asim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soshi wrote: »
    Hello, Asim! I'm really liking the way your concept evolves and I'm really looking forward to it. I especially like the general shape of the room which is not too simple yet not too complicated. I'm also digging the combination of greyish and greenish colors and the shape of the bones in the corners. The runes on the walls are a great idea. So far I'm getting the impression that this is some kind of an alien tomb or temple. If it's a tomb maybe there could be alien mummies or sarcophagi kind of floating in the green liquid or energy. There's just something about your wip that really grabbed me :D I wish you good luck!
    And don't worry about the deadline because it's the general idea of the concept that is the most important.

Thanks, soshi! I really appreciate your feedback:thumbup: And thanks for some inspiration. I will try my best.:)
  • asim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the following process I´m building up more the bonestructures and added some textures. Next I need to clean up everything and go into more details and refinement. At the moment I´m not sure if I will keep this bonetexture with the holes on the wall. Maybe it´s too big and messy, could be that I´ll replace it with the idea of having alien runes or signs on the wall.
    vEkaIMj.jpg
  • soshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The added detail makes it look really cool. My suggestion would to replace the two sponge-like textures on both sides of the arc and maybe put some ancient relief art in there. I somehow saw a lion on the left side of the arc and was instantly reminded of ancient Persian art and specifically the way they used to depict lions which I think is really awesome and maybe there could be some alien creature here.

My other suggestion would be making the stairs look a bit more alien since they're too parallel right now. I'll try to come up with something and update my post.
    Stairs update: After half an hour google images marathon didn't seem to find anything that looks alien enough to me but ancient stairs seem to be steep and narrow which makes them a bit scary imo :)
  • asim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, you´re right. This is what I thought. I will replace this texture from the wall with something like ancient relief art. And also with the stairs. Thank you for your effort google images:poly121: and giving inspiration:thumbup:
  • asim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exceptional work on those alien dead remains suspended in tubes. This has a lot going on for it, im not sure if the bottom ribbed designs are bones or tubes or other weirdness but it looks great. Lots of visual interest, but perfectly clear in the playspace.
  • asim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message