Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Spider Cyborg

Hi,

Currently, I'm finishing a handful of projects I started a while ago and only just getting around to finishing them. One of them was this Cybog Spider Lady I designed over Easter and have only just got around to modelling/texturing.

The idea behind it was if all of the industrial sectors were moved underground so there would be more room on the surface. Servers, generators and such would be located underneath in ant nest like maze of tunnels and areas. A caste of people would be necessary to quickly move around this environment, keeping the world running underneath for the people on the surface.

1g8S5Pf.jpg

ZWuzafO.jpg

jTKqY8D.jpg

This project was a good crash course in PBR materials, a subject that I'm not completely 100% confident with. I was going for an industrial cyberpunk feel, but I feel many of the textures are not reading correctly. I'm planning going over the Spec and Roughness maps again to improve the material definition, but any help or critique on this would be really helpful.

OCB3TbL.jpg

7CPJnM7.jpg

n0n3Gxv.jpg

W1luRfN.jpg

At the moment, the model is around 45,000 tris, which seems like far too many. The bulk of them come from the Legs, of which there are eight (big ones around 3k each, small around 1.8k each). The mechanical section below the waist is 25k in total, the body around 20k. Again, I feel this is far too many so any help on where to optimise would be great.

tgRtu4D.jpg

NAREqrb.jpg

Still to do:
  • Optimize Mesh
  • Improve Material Definition
  • Rig Model
  • Pose in a Simple Environment

Thanks for looking and any critique would be greatly appreciated!