Home Quixel Megascans

Normal map to AO Question

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
If I choose to make some details, say nuts and bolts in nDo for a bigger asset, is it best to just bake out a normal map edit the normal map in nDo then convert that to AO. Or should i bake out an AO map and then Overlay the one generated from nDo as well.

Is nDo normal > AO sufficient or should i overlay both

Replies

• NanoTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AO generated off of a normal map will give you micro-occlusion based on the normal map. This is the only AO I still dare to put into my maps on occasion as there's no way to create this AO in engine as far as I'm aware.

The AO baked off of a High or Low poly mesh will give you occlusion in mesh cavities. In general that's not a good idea anymore because of real time AO getting more common.

If you end up needing full AO then High Poly baked should be more accurate then Low Poly baked combined with ndo AO.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Interesting concepts, thanks. i think i will just try generating it off a normal map see how it looks. Will take a lot less time anyways and will get all the little details i put on normal map.

Only reason i would use AO is to plug into dDo
  • NanoTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I didn't see this was in the quixel suite section.
    If it's just for plugging into dDo then you should combine a high poly AO bake with some ndo AO generated off your added normals (Not AO from your normal bake !)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Personally, I like to combine the AO generated by NDO with the baked AO.