Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Texture Artist Portfolio

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Hcui polycounter lvl 8
What am I lacking in my portfolio? I want to be a better texture artist, what would employers want to see more of?

> hungryhalleck.com

Replies

• Pookhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pookhan polycounter lvl 13
    Hey, I Like your work. What I'd say though is that if you are presenting yourself as a texture artist, all your work should be texture work rather than having models, concepts and traditional. Maybe showing models in your breakdown would be good but I'd include that with the texture being the main focus. Other work that isn't texture work would be better in a blog. It means that people reviewing your work can see where you would fit in the team.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Very few studios have dedicated texture artists so I think it is a bad idea to market yourself as that in your portfolio. Most studios expect their environment artists and prop artists to model and texture all their own work.

As for your portfolio itself it is lacking anything that stands out or grabs my attention. If you want employers to be interested in your portfolio then do something exciting and fun to look at.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Oddly enough your traditional work is the best part of your portfolio, in my opinion. I suspect because they're personal projects and you put more time/passion into them. The skateboard, also a personal project, is also quite nice. If you really want to be a texture artist(Keep in mind what BARDLER said) then I'd focus on creating some next gen props with PBR.

Also your portfolio needs an overhaul. Look at http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92838 for inspiration
  • Hcui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hcui polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks so much for the replies guys. Okay I know a lot of companies have their environment artists do all the modeling and texturing but texture positions have been the only opportunities for me to get into this industry. Otherwise I wouldn't be a texture artist, it just happened to be the only offers I get.

I'm going to do my best to make more interesting pieces that stand out. Thanks again guys.