Home Dota 2

Help with Maya: Why did the hair became large in in-game preview?

Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to 3D modeling in general as well as Maya, so I need some help with a few odd problems that I've encountered while making a hair for CM.

I had made another headpiece for CM before, but I scrapped it due to the same fitting problems. Never thought that I would run into it again after being extremely careful with the modeling process...

So here I have a very basic headpiece polygon that fits nicely on the CM model in Maya. But as soon as I import it to Dota, either the hair grew big, or CM shrunk. So what's going on here?

Also, one more issue about it: In Maya, I clearly had some accessories on the hair. But in the Dota preview, they are gone. I've merged the components before skinning, deleted history. Where did they go?

Thank you in advance...Please help me! :(

jowxpTb.png

Replies

• belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    I remember people having similar issues a while ago, and if I recall correctly it has something to do with the files. Did you get the ZIP from the Technical Requirements/Models page? If so, they may be outdated, so you should try to decompile CM's model from the game files and use them as reference instead.
  • kesun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    I remember people having similar issues a while ago, and if I recall correctly it has something to do with the files. Did you get the ZIP from the Technical Requirements/Models page? If so, they may be outdated, so you should try to decompile CM's model from the game files and use them as reference instead.
    Wow, I see...I thought it was something I did that caused this. Yeah, I got the models from the ZIP files. So do you know a good instruction somewhere that goes through how to decompile models from game files? That doesn't sound very trivial... :/
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    kesun wrote: »
    Wow, I see...I thought it was something I did that caused this. Yeah, I got the models from the ZIP files. So do you know a good instruction somewhere that goes through how to decompile models from game files? That doesn't sound very trivial... :/

I use Crowbar, it's pretty easy and straightforward. You'll probably going to need GCFScape first to extract the files before decompiling the MDL. To open the SMD you can use MESA since you're on Maya.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    it looks to me like you need to freeze transforms (i think that's what it's called in maya).

If you've scaled it in maya but haven't frozen transforms the exported file will ignore those scale changes.
    you may have to re-skin it afterwards - so keep that in mind
  • kesun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK wrote: »
    it looks to me like you need to freeze transforms (i think that's what it's called in maya).

If you've scaled it in maya but haven't frozen transforms the exported file will ignore those scale changes.
    you may have to re-skin it afterwards - so keep that in mind

I have frozen the transformation before skinning also, so the model itself shouldn't be a problem at all. I think what belkun said might be the issue here, so I'll try to decompile the model and see if that'll make a difference. :)
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, the cm from the zip file is larger than the one you get if you decompile from the game. So for easier resizing of your own items, cm's size was changed to be 0.85 of the original. :O