Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Titan Project WIP

Working on a personal project that takes place on the moon Titan. I've never really done concept art with photo textures. Usually I just paint everything, but I'm expanding my concept painting techniques.

So far, it's just the world of Titan, but there will be cities down below. I'm a bit intimidated by doing a city, since I've never really done futuristic cities. Any thoughts? Crits?

TOT_Concept_11wip.png

Replies

• Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Feels pretty evocative of a hostile world, but what's your focus point in the image? Do you want the viewer to be taking in the vista of saturn in the distance? You might want to thin out the sky boulders if that's the case. Also I don't know how scientifically accurate you're aiming, totally cool if you aren't, but if you are it would be good to know that the rings around saturn aren't giant chunks of rock like the asteroid belt. They're really more like chunks of ice, most of which are no bigger than grains of sand. Equally interesting is that the rings from 'top' to 'bottom' are only a kilometer wide at the thickest point, and no more than ten meters at the thinnest.

In terms of rendering that looks like some really nice stone, but you might want to think about some bounce light and contrasting color to punch some parts of the piece up a bit.
  • Somni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with your critique, thanks a lot! Right now I'm working on fleshing out the city/colony that should be the focus, hopefully. Yeah, I haven't worked on Saturn or the rings at all yet, but I'm glad you brought it up. I was considering leaving it as it is.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    If you're looking to have your focus elsewhere then what you have should be fine. I can't say for certain that I would have recognized the planet back there as saturn specifically, but that might be less important than focusing on the city.

Looking forward to your next update!