Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC- [wip]

Hey guys. Still trying to figure out just what I want to do, so I'm doing some quick photo-bashy, speed painty type things. First round of images is supposed to be a steamy level full of environmental hazards. Lots of risky power-ups and sweet sweet lava doom. Centerpiece is a field of steam-shooting vents leading to a giant heat harvesting factory. This is supposed to be the view of the level from opposing ends.

Definitely going to explore more themes before I decide which direction to go. Thanks for looking!

01_v1.jpg

01_v2.jpg

Replies

• MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great, looks like a UT map already. :)
  • jayoplus
  • chucklepunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys ;]

Some new thumbs from an entirely different setting. Still trying to nail down an idea that resonates for me. I used a different process than my initial round of thumbs, so I thought I would post up early and often. This map is all about using the teslafied circular panels throughout the level to bounce around for for strategic advantage and to access power-ups. Just watch out for the trains that shoot along using the path using those same panels, lest you end a plate of space marine hash.

Comments/feedback much appreciated !

josh-godin_v2_sketches.jpg

josh-godin_v2_lines-values.jpg
  • chucklepunch
  • chucklepunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Movin' on up. Figured out a few things and decided that the blue Tesla inspired bolts work much better than the dingy yellow factory lighting. Still working on the concept for the ship that shoots between these tesla hot spots, but that guy is coming in soon. Also punched out a bunch of holes so the background could provide more secondary lighting.

Second version shows the player path to grab the damage power-up. Definitely going to block a few dudes in there, firing in each others faces as they bounce towards the center from opposing sides.

josh-godin_utmc2.jpg

josh-godin_utmc2_player-path.jpg
  • chucklepunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Still plugging away at these. Working on tying all three illustrations together as one cohesive environment. The idea is that you start out at a fairly stable central station (seen in above post), and hop the tram that rides the rails to head into gradually more dilapidated arenas. Better power-ups (and flags, and vehicles), but more dangerous environments.

josh-godin_utmc-update-01.jpg

josh-godin_utmc-update-03.jpg
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't really try to tie them all together, just happy with them separate. While it's a unique idea maps in UT will never really be as big to need a huge train ride :P Maybe an ONS map? but otherwise I don't really know about having the area so majorly divided up that the only way to see people (if theyr on the next area) would be to take a train ride. Dividing up the map so people don't run into each other like that isn't too fitting for an arena shooter. Unless you're saying that it would be 3 seperate "maps" with the train tracks running through all of them to tie them together lore-wise. UT has done stuff like that before.

I think the train is totally fine as a hazard for your green theme. I never commented on the green one but a futuristic train station is definitely a theme we haven't seen in UT as far as I know, i dig it. :)
  • chucklepunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, very good point. I'll try to shrink the gap between the play areas so it's more like you can hop across some refuse to each area, and the train is more just an environmental hazard.

I had this image in my head of the train being big enough that players battle on there between areas, with vehicles filling the gap and snipers having their heyday.. but it might be a little too complex :P

Thanks for the feedback!
  • chucklepunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on the train depot area of the map. 95% finished!

josh-godin_utmc-03.jpg
  • chucklepunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Posting my finals in here, since the main contest thread is closed early for some reason. Hopefully they pick up based on time stamps. I put a ton of work into these !

Gonna go ahead and post my stuff here too. Hopefully they sort out the early submission issue soon!

Three shots from my level, which is based what was once a robust factory which harvested heat from active volcano runoff. Now it's starting to fall apart, and you have to fight amidst the chaos. First image is the level entry point and the one area that's still somewhat operational. Second and third show the chaotic journey through the rest of the level, which is full of environmental hazards- such as the out of control trains that pass by on the rails constantly, not to mention piping hot magma spouts.

joshgodin_utmc_01.jpg

joshgodin_utmc_02.jpg

joshgodin_utmc_03.jpg
  • chucklepunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did these couple quick images to show the active play field, possibly player/bot paths and environmental hazards/opportunities. Ran out of time before I could finish the final one, though.

joshgodin_utmc_02_playfield.jpg

joshgodin_utmc_03_playfield.jpg
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great solution for ambiguous playspace area in shots too far away. Everyone should edit their entries with something to show off the play-space they envision, we've got until midnight tonight to do it and I'm definitely adding that to mine. :)
  • chucklepunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks!

i've been doing that for the last couple years. helps me maintain focus on how the map PLAYS since how it LOOKS is inherently taken care of by artistic sensibilities. also gives me a few moments to put down the wacom pen and actually picture a little dude running around the map. personally, i find it helps me keep motivated through some of the tedious details ;]

edit: hm, a little bummed you literally used my exact idea, wording and style (even copy and pasting elements from my layout) for your finals submissions. you're not really supposed to use other people's ideas to get ahead in these competitions.
  • Lil_Elvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your concepts for this capture a sweet feel to something I would want to play. Are the fans a gameplay element in the concepts, like trampoline or spring pads? ps. I snooped your portfolio, nice work.
  • chucklepunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ;] I dug through your stuff as well. Tons of good work !

Yeah, I pictured the fans as player controlled environmental hazards/opportunities. Like, two players brawling on their way to nab that quad damage, one gets taken down.. but respawns, turns on the fan and bounces his way up there first for some quick revenge. Or maybe someone spots another player headed for the shortcut bounce route to the quad and flips the fans, sucking the poor bastard in for insta-gibs ha.