Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demon Centaur Critique

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
angelb polycounter lvl 5
Hello polycounters,

I would like to get some critiques on my working progress Demon Centaur.

the first images are stylized and a bit exaggerated as far as the anatomy is concern, while the second

one is aiming more towards realism ( I am not sure on which way to take it yet). What do you guys think?

1IJsXiw.jpg

7YNSTlw.jpg

ZVPIfML.jpg

Replies

• KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome start: the top one is definitely more interesting, and there is definitely more you can do to make it more realistic looking, so don't abandon the idea of having an awesome second set of crazy arms, because that can be both stylised and realistic.

The face is what brings it down for me. I have no idea what's going on with the wrinkles toward the back of the head and the forehead looks WAAAY to mirror-like bald. The muzzle/jaw design looks more warewolf-y and does not really sell the idea of "demonic". In my mind, Demons are like a mirror that only shows our most undesirable, evil traits. Try making the about less 'protruding' and more like that of a Pitt-bull or Rottweiler, as they have more triangular shaped heads that look more humanoid in a disturbing way. I also say try to make any demon look a bit skeletal. Make the eye sockets and jaw-bones a bit more pronounced, really hammer-home the 'afterlife' imagery.

Just my 2 cents. REALLY cool design, and generally solid sculpting. Please keep this thread updated!
  • angelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    angelb polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the feedback! I finish sculpting the anatomy volumes and definition and will me moving on to the head, hoofs, and hands next. I am not particularly loving the face myself and adding the eye sockets might it more of a menacing look, I will post any changes I make later.

MYxU9JL.jpg

o637Irt.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I reckon it'd be worth having a good think about how the skeletal and muscular structure of the upper arms functions. Even if its a fundamentally unnatural Chaos mutation, I think you could probably get it feeling better from the rear view if you developed the join a bit more. I think rotating them back so that the forearms hang closer to the middle of the body might make them feel less awkward too.

With regards to the face, I think giving him some nasolabial musculature that runs down from his nose and around his mouth would help make his mouth look a bit more natural and more snarly.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "nasolabial musculature" Damn! learned a new word!

but yes, the more you makes things 'make sense' the more they seem cool. Some of the coolest designs in art, industry and science look cool because they are designs driven first and foremost by their use. A jet aircraft looks awesome, but really, it was designed for a purpose, looking cool was never a bullet-point on its engineering sheets. meanwhile you can always tell when something was just 'tacked-on' to look cool. The more you solidify the use and mechanics of your design, the more you can make ANYTHING seem realistic, in-place etc.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    To be honest, I'm not sure whether "nasolabial musculature" is actually a correct term, but you get what I'm talking about, right?
  • angelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    angelb polycounter lvl 5
    Lol yeah it is a word, I google it :P. I agree with everything you guys have said so far. I will definitely keep the nose and back arms in mind to see how I can make them feel more natural.
  • Aublak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're doing pretty well with the musculature. I think adding some fat and different variations of folding skin and fur would add to the realism of the character. The area where the humanoid torso meets the horse body, isn't convincing me. Obviously there is nothing to compare it to so I can't say its wrong. It just feels unnatural compared to the rest of the anatomy's logic.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I REALLY don't want to be 'that guy' who shamelessly pimps his own work on someone else's thread, but I will say that I've modeled a bunch of four-limbed and winged creatures and I would say pay attention to musculature and how big muscle groups need to be in order to heft the weight of the other muscles. Right now the 'back-arms' have very little muscle to lift their weight.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any update on this? Looking foreword to progress.
  • angelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    angelb polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks guys for the feedback.

KazeoHin - I will definitely touch up the back arms both in relation to the joint position and size of the muscles.

Aublak - Thanks, I will be adding small layers of fat, pores, and what not once I have finalize the over all model.

I have been quite busy and have not had time to really get to touch up this guy much. Here is a quick update of the head ( I think I added to many wrinkles so I am going to have to fix that). Will start to work on the top of the head and horns next, all that area is made of bone.

KsHAaFZ.jpg