Home Technical Talk

Is this bad topology?

HashBrownHamish
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
HashBrownHamish polycounter lvl 5
Hey, i'm doing this shield and i was really wondering if this is considered bad topology.

UNruBXu.png?1

The face in question is 4 sided with the vertex shown. So i was wondering if it's 4 sided, does it matter it doesn't connect to the center of my shield?

I might not have been very clear about what i'm asking but i'm sure you guys get it x)

Replies

• kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    Just connect them. They could cause some problems:

-in uvw editor and game engine you could got an error about overlapped uv's
    -some scripts and algorithms like "relax" in uvw will works bad. You topology should be "relax"proof if you know what I mean.
    -and some engines could triangulate the model in wrong way, like this:

umxqOrI.jpg
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Can't quite tell but is it on a flat surface? If it is it doesn't really matter, that topology can be used to terminate excess edge loops if your model is getting complicated. In this situation I wouldn't use them but not for any technical reason.

edit: Kurt's right especially about game engine's and triangulation. On a high poly model not for game, this topology shouldn't matter so much however.
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    does it matter it doesn't connect to the center of my shield?

No, it does not (if it's a flat surface). Although if you were to bend, animate or sculpt the shield it would cause problems.

Topology for Low-poly.
    Topology for everything else:
    IMkTmNJ.png
  • HashBrownHamish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome thanks for the reply's.

I got the error kurt talked about when i relaxed the faces in UV editor so i will use this from now for my more circular objects x)
  • HashBrownHamish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah if anywone see's this i have a quick question about the converging point for circular faces.
    When i make a high poly version i add the supporting edges but making my model is this manner makes swift loop useless.
    Any ideas ?
  • AlphaMix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im guessing swift loop is the equivalent to maya's insert edge loop tool. if thats the case, i stopped manually inserting edge loops at each side for a sharper high poly, instead, I select the edge and Insert a bevel (split it into more basically), which I can adjust easily fron the settings, even how many edges you want it split into, i like 3. Not sure how you do that in Max

Hope thats what you meant