Home Quixel Megascans

DDO Issues

The support from Quixel has gone out of the window. I sent an email to the team desk when Teddy asked me to which was on the 11-06-2014. I have still yet to receive a reply.

Issues:-

3DO/DDO will NOT load a mesh exported from max 8. I have no problems with these in dDo. I even sent one of my meshes along with my email.

There are still no swatches for Photoshop regardless of numerous people asking for them on facebook. Without them the linking of materials is tedious.

Probably related to the issue with max exported meshes but the multiple file open system does not load my mesh.

After using the awful linking system with my colour map and clicking on the generate base button very few of the materials i have selected appear.

Can we not have an option to create all the layers within a single file like dDo does. The number of files created is annoying.

Replies

• ghaztehschmexeh
    Well considering they are a very small and very busy team, I would say their support has been amazing. Getting personal replies from them here on the forums is impressive. Surprisingly, your email probably isn't the highest of high priorities. It's a beta. They know there are issues. Even if you paid for the program already, I would think it's a bit arrogant to act so entitled seeing as you are knowingly using an unfinished product.

I assume that having each map in a separate document is for performance reasons. I also don't know why you are using such an old version of max? I think most things do not support it now?
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi TJTAS,

I'm really sorry to hear you have been left unanswered, this has certainly not been intended. Sometimes I receive such a large bulk of mail I personally cannot keep up. We do have support staff now finally, but some mails sent to myself directly might still go missing during hectic periods. I'm really sorry about the lack of communication TJTAS.

I will find your mail and have a look at what is causing the import issues. OBJ importing is a tricky beast since the format varies so much from application to application and version to version. There are still loads of unsupported variations out there I'm sure -- the only way we can find solutions is to have the failing meshes and go from there, so I very much appreciate you've sent it to us.

Correct, the swatches are currently missing from DDO, this is because the new pipeline for color ID linking is still in the works, so there is no publically released color standard for the new DDO just yet. Though feel free to download the free dDo which does come with the FBX swatches in the meantime to help speed up linking.

The linking system is not quite done yet so there are indeed quite a few missing material links. This is mainly because there a great deal of smart materials missing currently, so certain IDs still have no links. There are a number of features related to ID linking and automation coming up so sit tight. Hopefully the bulk of it will be ready for 1.4.

I was planning on adding an export preset for baking all PSDs into one since certain studio tool pipelines and custom scripts are built around this structure. But as for having it all in one PSD like in the old dDo at run-time, a pretty hard decision had to be made to split it up. There are quite a few reasons why actually, but the main ones are performance, stability and flexibility. None of these are really possible with the legacy setup, but have been central in the development of the new DDO, so no compromises to performance have been allowed.

Hopefully this answered some of your questions. TLDR; stay tuned for upcoming releases, we'll do our best to shape it up.

- Teddy
  • TJTAS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Teddy,

Thank you for the reply very informative. The worrying issue with the obj files is that they work fine with dDo (which i have been using since it was released). I've seen other people on FB mention max export issues with DDO and not just old versions like I am forced to use.
    In regards the Swatches the ones from dDo don't seem to help as they do not seem to have any correspondence with materials in the new version. Unless there is some way i can load a legacy materials definition from dDo?.

BTW my email to you was sent to the team@ quixel(dot)se address and would have the name Tony Jesson in the email address.