Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Aliz

This is a character I am working on for my portfolio.

I was inspired by the universe of the Albert Robida. In his book ''The Twentieth Century'', he describes electric centrals used to control the weather. They can limit the winters, eliminate storms or even bring rain to desertic lands.

So, I imagined a character that would work for those centrals. She would travel in a flying ship, collect meteorological information and transmit them to the central.

I would like to have criticism on the modeling before I move on to retopology and textures.

Thank you! :)

Alizee_Full_Face_01.jpg
Alizee_Full_Side_01.jpg
Alizee_Full_Back_01.jpg

Alizee_Visage_Face_01.jpg
Alizee_Visage_3quarts_01.jpg
Alizee_Visage_Side_01.jpg

Alizee_Tronc_Face_01.jpg
Alizee_Tronc_Dos_01.jpg

Replies

• Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Looks good, but I see some stuff that bugs me :

- why does she have a naked shoulder ? Doesn't seem useful, especially with the... metal things on it. If it's just to put some asymetry, well you don't need to put asymetry just for the sake of it because people like that. A symetrized leather pilot vest would be less awkward, you can still have asymetric details ( you already have them ).

- what is that metallic "skirt" ? Doesn't seem comfortable to pilot a ship, especially if she has to sit down.

- the heels of the boots look a bit weird.

Well that's it ^^. Keep it up.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I love this, particularly her head/face/hair. I agree that the skirt looks impractical, and feel that the top half of the design is very dense and information heavy, while the lower half lacks much interest. This is mostly fine, because usually you want to draw the eyes to the head, but maybe consider a thigh-pack/holster or similar to balance it out a little.

Looking forward to seeing more of this!
  • FlorenceThibault
    Texelion: Thank you very much for your comment!
    For the asymetric vest, I designed it that way to make it more visually interesting and create a more original fashion for her.
    For the metallic skirt, I imagined it so it can be removed easily (there are clips in the back) so she uses it only to take measurements (there are meteorological instruments on it) and she can remove it after.
    Can you explain a bit more in what way you think there is a problem with the heels? I'm looking at my model and I believe there is a problem in the back view. They are not properly aligned with the rest of the boot. Is that what you meant? I had a hard time with the overall shape of the foot, so you are probably right that there is still a problem in that area!

Keranouille: Thank you! :)

BagelHero: Thanks! I didnt want to overload my model with details, so that is why I kept the pants and boots simpler. I am a bit too far in the process to change the design, so I'll keep her that way, but I'll keep your critique in mind when I will be doing the concept of another character!
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heels are always a bit painful to do^^. Well I don't know ewactly what's wrong, maybe it's not the heel, maybe it's the foot, but the distance between the heel and the tip of the foot looks big.

Well I guess, here is how your boot could look. Compare it to your model and you'll see what I mean :

BOOTSfryelanding-page.jpeg

It's not really important, but sometimes if the feet look weird the whole character look weird when he/she walks. If you don't want to waste some time changing this it's ok, just think about it for your next character ^^.
  • FlorenceThibault
    Thank you for your quick reply Texelion! I will study a bit more my ref and try to find what's wrong! :)
  • FlorenceThibault
    More work on the boots. Hope it looks better now! :)
    bottes03.jpg
  • LisaFenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The boots look way better now! I love what you have so far, great attention to detail. However as others have said this doesn't seem like a very comfortable pilot uniform, I don't think that metallic skirt or the things hanging off of her would be very practical. You don't want things that could easily get caught on her clothing. Other than the practicality issues I can't wait to see the final product!
  • FlorenceThibault
    Thank you :) I agree that her clothing could be more practical, but at the point where I am now, I will keep it as it is ;)

Here's a little update:

I changed a bit the proportions (arms are slightly longer and legs a bit shorter). Is it better?

Alizee_tronc_01.jpg
    Alizee_tronc_02.jpg
    Alizee_full_01.jpg

Also I did a little correction on the nose:

Alizee_nez_02.jpg
    Alizee_nez_03.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    nice work here. Looking at the head, I think the skull should be considerably larger. Basically, I think the hat should be higher up to leave the correct amount of space for the skull to fit inside. other than than it looks great!
  • FlorenceThibault
    Thanks for your comment! I will correct that.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the boots are good now, keep it up.
  • FlorenceThibault
    Thanks Texelion!

I started working on the low poly model. I would like to know how I can make the topology better for animation and how I can optimize it (now it's 27 700 triangles).

Retopologie_Full_01.jpg
    Retopologie_Full_02.jpg

Retopologie_Visage_01.jpg
    Retopologie_Tronc_01.jpg
    Retopologie_Tronc_02.jpg
  • FlorenceThibault
  • FlorenceThibault
    I added a bit of details on the face before baking..

Alizee_face_details_02.jpg
  • FlorenceThibault
    Here's the normal, AO and cavity bake:

Alizee_baking_devant.jpg
    Alizee_baking_side.jpg
    Alizee_baking_dos.jpg
    Alizee_baking_closeup1.jpg
    Alizee_baking_closeup2.jpg
    Alizee_baking_visage.jpg

I've changed a bit the topology of the jacket and pants so the normal map looks better on them. I also added an other loop on the left shoulder so it deforms better (hopefuly...).

Alizee_baking_topo1.jpg
    Alizee_baking_topo2.jpg
    Alizee_baking_topo3.jpg
    Alizee_baking_topo4.jpg
  • FlorenceThibault
    I've worked on the diffuse texture. Comments and critiques would be very helpful! :)

Alizee_diffuse_full_02.jpg
    Alizee_diffusefull_01.jpg
    Alizee_diffusecloseup_01.jpg
    Alizee_diffusecloseup_02.jpg
    Alizee_diffusecloseup_03.jpg
    Alizee_diffusebottes_01.jpg

Alizee_diffusevisage_01.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Her hair is too red. I'd go for something more like her eyebrows.
    The leather is starting to read as leather, so that's good, but I don't know what material the green material is. It doesn't really "feel" like anything. In fact, not even sold on the green being there at all. If she had green eyes, maybe, but as it stands I'd have a look at changing the green tone to something a bit lighter and warmer. Like... an olive green or something.

It's shaping up, though! Looking forward to the final result.
  • FlorenceThibault
    Thanks for your comment! I desaturated the hair a bit, now she looks more like a natural redhead ;) For the green material, I was aiming for a tweed fabric (rough wool). Let me know if you have suggestion on how I could make it look more like it. It is pretty matte, so it won't change a lot when I had the spec and gloss map...I chose green to contrast with the hair. I will try making it olive green see how it looks!
  • FlorenceThibault
    I did a quick skinning to start working on a pose. I did some tests, let me know wich one you like better! On the third one, she would have one of her devices in her hand. Of course, for whatever pose I choose I will have to remodel some parts (like the soulder on the second one...). I also changed the colors a bit.

pose1.jpg
    pose2.jpg
    pose3.jpg
    pose4.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I like the second pose, but think it would be more dynamic if combined with the stance of the fourth. :) So, the forth with her right hand coming up to adjust the goggles, to be clear.

The slight color change on the shirt makes it feel a lot more convincing, and along with the hair it's come together very well. Seriously looking forward to seeing a final render instead of viewport shots!
  • skillstrengthorluck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skillstrengthorluck polycounter lvl 5
    I really like this design, I keep the tab open and refresh the page each day looking for updates. Inspiring thread. I'm also reading "le vingtieme siecle" at the moment too so that makes it even more relevant to me, haha.

I agree with BagelHero with regards to both the stance and the slight colour change. I'm not 100% sold on the blue eyes, but that's just personal preference I guess. :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    nice work so far. She has a bit of crazy eyes at the moment. close them up some more so that the eyes sit like this in a rested position.

img-conjunctiva.jpg
    ignore the text in the image, just googled and grabbed the first example I found.

[edit] just to elaborate, notice how the black part of the eye is just below the eye lid and the blue part is just at the bottom. that's what you want.
  • FlorenceThibault
    BagelHero: Thank you for your suggestion! I think I'll go with that. The second and fourth pose seems to be the ones people like better so it's a good compromise ;). I'll post soon images from UDK!
    Skillstrenghtorluck: Thank you! I'm glad you like it :) I will do some tests with other eye colors when I'll be done with the pose.
    BradMyers82: You're right about the eyes! Thanks for pointing that out. Her pupil is also too small, I'll fix that!
  • FlorenceThibault
    Here are some renders from UDK. I had a couple of problems with the lightmaps and there is still a seam visible in the armpit, I'll see what I can do about it. Also, the hair alphas are not displaying correctly, seems like an alpha drawing order problem... I have to fix that too!

Let me know what you think of the lighting, shaders,etc :)

Alisee_UDKfront2.jpg
    Alisee_UDKside1.jpg
    Alisee_UDKback1.jpg

I also did some quick tests with other eye colors. Which one do you like the most?

closeup1.jpg
    closeup2.jpg
    closeup3.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Firstly; Hell yeah. This is looking fantastic! Final pose looks great, real lighting really takes it up a notch. Inside of her nostril is glowing, though, haha.
    Secondly; I vote green eyes!
  • FlorenceThibault
    Thanks!!:) Yes I have to fix the nostril ahah, I think it's a problem with the SSS not sure...
  • FlorenceThibault
    Finally, I've decided to use dynamic lights instead of static ones, because it makes my specular and gloss maps look better. However, I can't get the lights to cast shadows on the face! If anyone has an idea what can be the problem let me know! :)

No_Shadows.jpg
  • kinslayer233
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kinslayer233 polycounter lvl 4
    I just came to say, damn, this looks very very cool!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    nice work here! Have you checked the scale of your model?

The reason I ask is I was having shadows issues and found out my scale was wrong and that was why. It will cause a lot of issues actually if your scale is off.
  • skillstrengthorluck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skillstrengthorluck polycounter lvl 5
    looking great man. :D

Liking the green eyes with the brown specs in. Nice touch.
  • FlorenceThibault
    kinslayer233: Thank you very much!

BradMyers82: Thanks for your advice! Actually, the option ''Non modulated Self Shadowing'' was unchecked on my light :P It works now!

skillstrengthorluck: Thanks! :)
  • FlorenceThibault
    I changed a bit the facial expression, but it still feels stiff a bit... Suggestions are very welcome! :)

test14.jpg
  • FlorenceThibault
    I received good critiques regarding the textures, so I worked them a bit more. I added a bit more dirt on the boots and more wear to the pants, I integrated better the tattoo to the skin and I changed the shirt color. I also changed the camera FOV.

I will call these images final, but I'm still open to criticism, if there are quick things I can fix :)

Alizee_Full_Front.jpg
    Alizee_Full_Side.jpg
    Alizee_Full_Back.jpg
  • FlorenceThibault
    Here's the closeup image:

Alizee_Closeup.jpg

Thanks a lot to those who helped me with this character!! :)