Home Technical Talk

Learning - what softwares?

khelegond
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
khelegond polycounter lvl 3
So, like many around here (I think), I'm trying to get into 3D Modeling and game making. I'm really proficient in programming (software developer for at least 22 years), and I've been drawing even earlier (not greatly, of course).

Recently I bought a book on Maya and been following it, but it's not great. I've enrolled in a class here in Brazil for Photoshop, Digital Painting (using PS and a tablet - which I have), and then ZBrush, and later will do a Maya course.

Is this enough? What else should I learn? Would these be enough to cover a nice ground? I know it's a very hard area which require dedication and years to really excel, but I really love this area, would really love to work on it.

Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english!

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Modeling: Modo, 3dsmax or Maya. Modo seems to be developing and incorporating new features much quicker so I'd learn that.
    Scupting: zBrush
    Texturing: Photoshop
    Baking normals: xNormal
    Extra texturing/presentation tools: Substance Suite, Quixel Suite, Marmoset Toolbag
  • khelegond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bought the Quixel Suit in the pre-order - the 99$ pre-order price seemed too nice to pass for what it would do. Marmoset is just a presentation tool, correct? Since I was thinking about game props and characters I didn't think it was enough, but if I ever wanted to sell assets it would come in handy.

And thanks for the reply!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Yep, Marmoset is just a tool for presenting models. I haven't used it much but it seems very powerful and easy to use. It'll probably be something you decide on when you start making kick ass models :D

I guess I'll say that for now, Maya and 3dsMax are industry standard. However, Machinegames (and a few other studios) use Modo because it keeps getting better and better every release.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I recommend looking into Substance Designer as well. With Modo you can also get some Substance Designer integration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ETs6v9HlVk
  • Ispheria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    Dataday wrote: »
    I recommend looking into Substance Designer as well. With Modo you can also get some Substance Designer integration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ETs6v9HlVk

Right now that doesn't apply to Modo 801 just so you know tc

edit: and yeah, +1 for Substance Designer, it's freaking awesome.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Ispheria wrote: »
    Right now that doesn't apply to Modo 801 just so you know tc

Thats true, the updated plug-in should be out soon though.
  • khelegond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm. How much necessary is Substance Designer considering I have Quixel Suite? Or am I comparing apples to oranges here? (sorry if I seem ignorant - I actually am about this).

Anyway, Substance Designer does seem pretty awesome.
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Yep, Marmoset is just a tool for presenting models. I haven't used it much but it seems very powerful and easy to use. It'll probably be something you decide on when you start making kick ass models :D

I guess I'll say that for now, Maya and 3dsMax are industry standard. However, Machinegames (and a few other studios) use Modo because it keeps getting better and better every release.

I've been looking at and hearing alot about Modo, even talked with a couple of people from the Foundry when they visited where I go to class, and Modo is definitely the future of modelling, it's interesting to see if it'll take off.

Do you have any experience with Modo beef? I've been using Maya for like a year and a half almost, and I'm wondering if it's worth the switch. Learning a whole other program seems a bit difficult when you're still learning modelling as a whole.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    @khelegond - Substance Designer is a node based texturing workflow. It has a lot of the same edge wear presets built in as dDo; however, everything is adjusted and created using nodes. There is more differences than that but those are the basics.

@Fogbrain - I tried it out briefly. Can setup the viewport to Maya's settings, which makes navigation super easy. If CryENGINE releases their .fbx exporter soon, I'll switch over for my next project. (Although they have Importer Hub for Cryengine but I haven't tried that out yet).