Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first game character - Archer

Girlonthecloud
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Girlonthecloud polycounter lvl 2
Hi, everyone, This is my first game character - Archer. I did the sculpting in Zbrush and finished it in 3ds Max. And it was rendered in marmoset. If anyone could give me some feedback or suggestions on the character maps or anything will be awesome.

Archer_web.jpg

Maps_web.jpg

wireframe-present.jpg

Archer_ass_present.jpg
Polypaint in Zbrush

Thanks!!

Replies

• SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Fix the links, use imgur or something, also, got any high poly sculpts?
  • Girlonthecloud
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Yep . This was my first post with image. I'm looking the way to fix it.^_^
  • Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    95ac3217bd.png Use this in the edit panel to upload images via a link.

As for the model, it's pretty good for a first. However, I have some major problems with the dispersion of texture resolution/quality, most likely because of UV islands being too small. The bow is incredibly low-res, in comparison to the rest of the character.

The face is nice. I like it a lot. The only problem that rises from that is that the quality of the facial area is far greater than the rest. Look at dirtying up the clothing and pants, as well as adding some AO for previews. If you're using Marmoset Toolbag, there's the option for AO under the "render" tab.

As well as that and local reflections, they can really help to cap off your model. It's not quite there yet, though. I agree with SaboR on this, some high poly would be good.

6f48de322c.jpg

Oh yeah, and ditch the bright green grass. It drags your eye away from the piece and generally looks ugly.
  • JohnRossitter
    I like him :)
    He looks like Nick Cage in UV layout :)
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    For a first game character, it's pretty amazing ! Face is great. But I have to agree with the lack of resolution on the assets. It also lacks some specular in my opinion.
  • Girlonthecloud
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi-Poly (Zbrush )

zbrush-render_half.jpg?w=940&h=705

zbrush-render.jpg?w=940&h=705

archer_ass_present.jpg?w=940&h=876

Low-Poly ( 3Ds max ) and rendered in Marmoset

archer_web_low.jpg?w=940&h=533

wireframe-present.jpg?w=940&h=624

maps_web.jpg?w=940&h=313

Hi, Thanks all the feedback and suggestions!!!! :)

Stirls: Thanks for the suggestion of the reflection and AO render method. You have mentioned that the UV islands being too small, I am wondering could you explain more on that?

Suba: Yep! I agree that I might reduce the polycount too much. :) You mentioned that it also lacked some specular, do you think I should add more specular on leather texture?
  • Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Not all of the islands, just the one with your bow included in it. It's incredibly low resolution in comparison to the rest. From that, I assume it has a small UV island. Consider making it larger.