Home Technical Talk

Creating Environments,This is Issue

hi everyone!
I am environment artist.so i am not very perofesional.and have some problems in environment creating.my problems are details of work.
my problems:
1-should i create all of the scene in 3d software first and import seperate meshes to game engine?or use Modular creating?when should i use modular and when should not?

2-when should i chamfer edges of meshes in scene?

3-should i bake models in scene always?or i must to create lowpoly models without bake?

4-workflow of works is to create blockout first in engine and go to 3d software or first in 3d software and go to engine?what should i do?

5-when should i to use from atlas texturing?is just for sci-fi scenes?

6-for sci-fi scenes should i to use one-texture technique?

7-if i use Duplicate meshes in scene,is not problem in standard of creating scenes?

8-for textures should i create normals in photoshop or with baking?

for example in these pics:
in this pic that is from Denis G.

57NxTj.png

should i to create all of the scene in max?or create seperate meshes?
what is workflow of this?anyone know?
or in this pic that is from Henrique Lopes.

gyFwNJ.jpg

say me in color of scene(red,blue,green,yellow) are created in max or are seperate meshes and added in scene latar?
green:wall is modular?

so for example i want to create this scene:

OqYZk1.png

what should i do first?what is your workflow for creating this?(with details of my problems)

so i will happy if you help me with examples...if do not this is not problem ;)

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    1. Try to make things modular, but don't waste time making things more modular than they need to be. Anything that tiles should easily fit together like legos, it makes iteration easier and quicker.
    2. When you'll notice if edges aren't chamfered in game
    3. You don't need to uniquely bake anything that uses tiling textures, but pretty much everything these days have normal maps
    4. For a person project with a solid concept, I've always found it easier to do the block out in a modeling application, but you can prototype in game engines as well, they each have their own advantages.
    5. Just do whatever is easiest and quickest for you
    6. Just do whatever is easiest and quickest for you
    7. Not sure what you are asking, you should duplicate meshes in the game engine and not in your 3d package.
    8. You can create tiling textures in photoshop (floors, walls, panels, simple assets), but bake anything that needs to be backed.
  • MohsenDehnavi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very thanks for your help "ZacD"
    for 7 part:
    it means that using repetitive object in scene that i created ago,is not problem in standard of creating scenes?(is may you should not to use repetitive meshes in scene!)
    and what is your idea about quastions of pictures?about my next quastions?
    thanks

anyone is not to can say me his idea about my quastions?