Home Contests & Challenges Archives Petrol/Blood

PETROL/BLOOD -Reset and Refurb

Hey! This is my first go-ahead on at a contest on this forum. Hopefully I can add my little peice to the competition. Good luck to all!

So I wanted to switch things up a bit so instead of living things mounting robots and vehicles I thought of having robots mounting living things :)

My general idea is to have two robots battling it out for tech superiority. One is a bleeding edge piece of tech riding on a fantastical creature. The other a rusty, old worn robot riding an entish (is that even a word) wyvern.

Gunna start on the first beasty.

Had my very talented best friend "Unzipped" draw me up some concept art.
BSGTWLs.png

Will post a WIP pic of the modeling later tonight

Update 1:

Makin Progress

gGfXHxs.jpg

mCMIU5r.jpg

AoGGzpB.jpg

Replies

• PaperHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to get the furs sculpted in

j4bCC2D.jpg
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Before getting all those details done you really should take some references of a dog or something similar and work on the proportions of your creature. For now it looks really wobbly (Zbrush syndrome), so I'd get to a lower subdivision and rework the big shapes.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Doubling up on that suggestion of going back to your lowest subdiv and reworking your base forms using real life reference. It's fun to get crazy with the details, but without a good foundation it tends to just look muddy. :)

Your construction is missing a number of forms, and misses the sweet spot on how they connect together. You could really stand to do some thinking about how and why things connect, where the bones are, where the muscles are. For example, your creature seems to be missing a ribcage and stomach muscles. If you don't mind, some redlines:
    2kZS02bl.png

Another issue is the fur. It seems to be... floating? Logically, this is a bit silly, as fur grows out from the skin. It also sits in many layers, example:
    grrwYImL.png

And on your model
    JSx1LFR4.png
    90IwSZVH.png

And heres an example of how you could sculpt some fur that reads a little better than what you have right now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcNnCCpNaco

It's a little tedious, but I think your sculpt would benefit much from some tender love and care in the foundations/anatomy, and some having some more thought put into the fur.

Hope this helps a little on pinning down exactly what it is you need to do.
    Looking forward to seeing more, and your Robot. :poly136:
  • PaperHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice all :D Really appreciate it!

Only thing about the anatomy though is the mis porportioned ribcage and front with the legs are intentional. Going into it I wanted an alien and diporportioned look. Will definitely look into the fur issue though. Although You are right in saying where the front and back connect could use a little better transition. Although the original intent was to have the back of the body with very tiny hairs instead of fur.

I've never done fur before by hand before :/ I seemed to have been getting ok results just using alphas up until now. Well Shit......
  • PaperHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to fix things up bCQVlpC.jpg

Edit: really glad took the time to learn how to sculpt stylistic fur. It's not perfect but probably gunna be my biggest takeaway from this contest.

BeVEIpH.jpg