Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Catacombs

Jordz
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Jordz polycounter lvl 8
Saw this just, and I have to have a go.
My map theme is catacombs.
Quick drawing to get the idea of the place.
vVJDuBW.jpg

Replies

• Jordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Played around with colour and added some things:
    wRrg13v.jpg
  • Jordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
  • Delofasht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a good idea, and a nice twist on the whole temples kind of theme that is present in the original Unreal. Have you thought about exploring the idea in more silent architecture?
  • Jordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Could I ask what do you mean by silent architecture?
  • Jordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Just a rough idea of another room in the catacomb. I'm thinking some large room possibly where ceremonies could be held.
    t9Penka.jpg
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Jord. I'm not sure what Delofasht means by "Silent architecture" but my advice to you would be try to get your first first idea down before moving onto the next. Often times people who struggle to work from imagination like you seem to be doing here are lacking in the fundamentals and visual library.

Working on the fundamentals such as constructing shapes in perspective and doing more breakdowns of more complex shapes is not easy and takes hard work but as far as your visual library, take a look at pictures of catacombs that exist in real life, see the shapes textures and patterns and try to pull from that.

Check out the Catacombs of Paris for example, there's a lot of places you can look and this is just one. If you're struggling to come up with something from your head, use reference ;)

Your catacombs idea is worth exploring, just don't be so quick to jump to the next thing! Art takes patience and practice.
  • Jordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for your feedback FirebornForm, Ive decided to experiment with this idea not sure whether its too much skulls:
    Gxer9jM.jpg
  • Jordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Added Stone bricks to the sides, just thinking about the higher area. I'm thinking of maybe making it a platform.
    5M8zTBp.jpg
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey again Jordz.

I would say yeah that's too many skulls, but you should consider taking a step back and looking at the big picture.

When looking references in this case first look for cool shapes that inspire you instead of looking for details to copy (that comes later). Overall big-shapes are what defines the shape-language that Epic is looking for in this contest. Skull walls and brick walls is going into what the texture is and it's good you're thinking about that but consider that stuff window dressing. What you want to focus on is interesting shapes exploring your concept of catacombs.

I like the fact you've broken up the pillar and have the chunk of the pillar in the water, as well as the damaged metal water gate, but the rest of the image is a bit too plain. It seems like you want to explore the idea of a catacbomb in ruins so keep changing shapes up, maybe punch a hole in the wall or give the image a little less sterile symetry by adding an underwater passage. These are just ideas but you get the idea, keep exploring the idea.

Try to be bolder with your choices of shapes and get away from same-shapes for everything. I can practically map out your area into very similarly sized squares or rectangles. You want to get away from being so cookie cutter building blocks and more into different forms and sizes. Even your details like the triangular torches (which you put a box of skulls around) or crypt indents in the hallways are pretty much into the same box shape.

"just thinking about the higher area. I'm thinking of maybe making it a platform."
    ^ This is the sort of stuff you want to be doing, keep thinking about how you want to improve the image with more interesting shapes, break away from the boxes.

SAHBVLa.jpg
  • Jordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you for your continuous feedback and advice Firebornform, it's much appreciated.
    I worked on the platform I was thinking of and morphed it into large window spaces to open the area up more, I felt it was too claustrophobic. I was originally thinking of having a pillar fallen connecting the right window to the ledge in the foreground however thinking about it i feel it would of looked odd and out of place.
    In stead of the central corridor being a dark abyss I decided that it looks better as stairs.
    Also just added a referance guide man in there for sense of scale.
    hFXJ3Am.jpg
  • Jordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Getting Close to the deadline!
    Added more detail to the floor and tried to add cracks and a bit of ware to the pillars. Im a bit undecided on whether to make the back wall stone brick or just stone (give it like a cave ish effect).
    Sayr1Jn.jpg
  • Jordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Trying to polish up and finish this.
    Tried to add more ware and tare with cracks and added dust to the floor.
    I've played around with adding skulls and the bone in the foreground to give the place a more dead feel. I also have tried to add moss where the water meets the stone.
    GlEdZeq.jpg
  • Jordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Trying to polish!
    Added the red candles to add a bit more colour to the scene. Also played with lighting a bit I felt it was too light for a dark and damp place.
    RaOVUhD.jpg