Home General Discussion

Is this a good idea for a videogame?

IgnitionChemistry
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
IgnitionChemistry polycounter lvl 5
A short introduction:
When I was younger I was addicted to a virtual world called Second Life, that everyone heard about on the news, years back. I was hooked into some form of game that was going on inside the platform, a role playing that would take place in a 3D environment, carefully crafted for the best immersive experience possible, it was about an exchange of paragraphs where each person would take turns and interpret their characters, like actors in movies.
These sort of 'gaming' experiences can also be found on forums on the WWW.

I thought this would be a good idea to a video game and I started to learn the tools to master 3D and CG. It's something I always keep on my head but it's an awful large amount of work to do alone. Do you think it's even worth it or am I being clouded by my own likes in gaming?

I'd like to hear it from people here who are obviously more experient.

Replies

• FullSynch
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    I'm lost.

My shot in the dark is that your idea is to base a game around the meta-game of role playing? If that is your intent I have to bring the topic of enforcement. It's very difficult to force an online community as a whole to submit to unspoken rules (visit a RP WoW server, if they still exist.) and the moment you make it optional it becomes what? An rpg.

But again, what I've read so far is fairly vague and abstract to me. Can you explain further?
  • Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Sure it can work, but you have to design systems to make it work. What is that new MMO being ported from Asia, using CryEngine? It has a very robust trading system, that FORCES players who wish to advance in the endgame to behave similiarly to the way that a real trader would behave. They have to choose trading routes, and take risks to make bigger profits and hire guards.

So then you have people who have to role play as guards to protect the merchant players.

Then you have pirates who try to kill the guards who are working for the merchants, and so on.

The people even role play as citizens jurors to judge disputes between players!

SO if you want people to role play. You have to create the system to make role play the most reasonable thing to do. Becaues once it isn't the reasonable thing to do, people won't do it.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 12
    A good game idea is entirely common, game ideas in general I can design systems and how a game should play and look and work really quickly in my head, making the actual game to any sort of state takes months at least.

I try and not get over ambitious now when making a game at the first stage I write about 10-20 ideas down, some I may use later, then I narrow my choices, into what would have mass appeal, be fun/unique, I know is going to cause me few roadblocks and is going to be fun to work on.

then when I have my final choice like I picked last week I start working on the prototype, basic controls, graphics etc, make sure i'm finding the stylistic feel and the general idea is just to go from there, build your simple systems then try and work in the complex ones you theorized.