Home Contests & Challenges Archives Petrol/Blood

PETROL/BLOOD - darkmag07

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
Sweetangel was too busy for the contest, so I decided to continue on with a different concept. I'm more of a toon, hand-painted artist so the contest doesn't really play to my strengths but I thought it could be fun to try none-the-less.

So without further ado, I present the story of Ayakashi, an innocent young forest-sprite who gets caught up in a horrible death race. Can this adventurous youth survive the race with only her trusty steed, the Bumblechow, and a Slingshot? Find out next time on... Petrol/Blood!

pb_pinterest_board.png
Inspirations board on Pinterest.

Character_Sketch.png
Initial Concepting

ayakashi_wip_01.png
Current progress

Design Musings

The Swordfish from Cowboy Bebop was a big aircraft design inspiration for my first entry, so I was looking at it a lot, and noticed it was kind of divided up like a bee. That got me to thinking of a cartoony bee-rider. Since I'm not very good at high-poly sculpting, I thought I should target peoples feelings more, so I decided I needed to make the bee more relatable. Perhaps by combining it with some favorite household pet?

I also noticed that bees are pretty fluffy, so I looked for a fluffy dog to fuse it with and thus the Bumblechow was born. I also really wanted to try out the Shadow of the Colossus fur technique.

Replies

• Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    I don't know why but your drawings remind me of SkullGirls for some reason.

The design could be cool but I think those legs are waay to thick, especially her ankles. You should fix that for the silhouette.
  • darkmag07
    Offline / Send Message
    @Suba: Not one of the games that I've ever really played, but I could see it subconsciously influencing my designs. Then again there are a lot of these quasi-pin-up anime styled characters.

As for the mesh, it's definitely not finished. I was testing out the Skin Modifier in Blender which was added in a while ago and is kind of like Z-Spheres. It made a really horrible topology so I went in and retopologized it today before I start doing some real detailing. I wanted to get a feel for the outfit though, so I got sidetracked in trying to construct the pieces.
  • darkmag07
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some sculpting to try and clean up/refine certain zones yesterday evening. Probably need to work more on the arms/hands/knees/feet and face.

char_wip_01.png
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Good to see you working on something for the contest even if it's not what you're normally doing. I thought about entering myself but I didn't due to these reasons.

Some critic:
    The hands feel a little thin atm. And the lower arm reagion feels a little to long. Also for a cuter look (like chibi characters) you maybe should push done mouth+nose+eyes just a little bit, so that the chin is less prominent.
  • darkmag07
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions Fenyce. I adjusted the length of her forearms and the proportions on her face, although some of what you were seeing was probably my sub-par low-ish camera angle. Below is an orthographic view which might help a bit. I still need to get to work on them hands though.

ayakashi_paintover_01_clean.png

Also did a little bit of redesigning on the outfit since I didn't necessarily "feel" the old one. I'm happier with this one, but I'm open to suggestions. Also I'm unsure about giving her leg and accent with the red body paint.

ayakashi_paintover_01.png

(Also, if you still want to join, Fenyce, I'd be happy to have you as a partner. I've always been a fan of your work!)
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Looking better already. I would recommend leaving a little flat space between her breasts, it feels unnatural atm. (I'd do a paint over, but I don't have my tablet here, hehe)

And thank you for the kind words! But since I'll be applying for jobs the next days/weeks I'm unsure of the freetime I'll have. But I'll come back from time to time to leave you some feedback :)
  • darkmag07
    Offline / Send Message
    ayakashi_wip_02.png

I Jumped up one level of subdivision to start on hands/feet. Still need some more work on the feet, but I feel the hands are okayish.
  • darkmag07
    Offline / Send Message
    ayakashi_wip_03.png

Gonna call this good for now on the character. Next to her puppy!