Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handpaint Textures character

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
hakbit polycounter lvl 7
Hello guys. I want to make a character with toon, handpaint-style but i stuck in part like gradient thing ( like smooth transform from part to part and make it not too flat) and clothes part too.

Here is my model and sample texture
fvtzYko.png

Concept art
sviVAPf.png

And the result i want to

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/140/0/1/siegecraft_commander_peon_by_mavhn-d7j2z6s.jpg

I stuck pretty long with textures and at last i take the concept art and apply to the textures :(.

Replies

• Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    The example you've linked has much more light painted into it, so it get's more volume due to the value shifts, you can spot what I mean clearly on the top of the characters belly.
  • hakbit
    Offline / Send Message
    hakbit polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, I was try to improve the texures past few day and still not satisfy with it but it's go better the first textures i posted.
    Here some :
    2e9w4PE.jpg
    zQYf0Og.jpg
    7zD5qiy.jpg
    EZsBgeX.jpg

And concept:
    R0sOL6Z.jpg
    CIj8CmC.jpg

My boss said the face it's look doesn't fit the concept, he want it completely like the concept, and I really dont' know what to change. The model or the textures i make ? =.=..

@Fenyce Thank for the feed back, after read your comment i was tried but the value shifts color and i still not understand it yet :p.

Thanks guys.
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man

Looking good. I reckon you need to bake an Ambient Occlusion map and put that on your diffuse.
    The face looks fairly similar to the concept, maybe define the cheekbones in the textures more.
    I also think you could cut some polys off the hair mesh

Good luck! :)
  • JustMeSR
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    butt_sahib wrote: »
    The face looks fairly similar to the concept, maybe define the cheekbones in the textures more.

Also the eye expression (and eyebrows) looks different from the concept.

Edit: Also the ears. You can save some polys on them, making them more blocky/ sharp like those on the concept.
    hakbit wrote: »
    My boss said the face it's look doesn't fit the concept, he want it completely like the concept, and I really dont' know what to change. The model or the textures i make ? =.=..

On concept he looks way sharper than the texture does. Cheekbones, ears, hair, eyes with eyebrows are some of the places thta don't look sharp at all on the model/ texture. (Nose and beard on the other hand nail that look perfectly)