Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge July 2014 (21)

Replies

• Garasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Garasin polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys!
    Sorry I'm a little late to the party, hopefully I can catch up!

Been looking at the work and it's really cool. I was thinking about doing an Egyptian themed environment at some point so this is right up my alley.

@JoachimC - I love how you've planned out the scene, really gives a good idea of the scope of the project.

@Gadorian - I love your blockout and I think you approached the scale of the scene in a really insightful way.

@Rafelious - Knife is looking good dude, can't wait to see some textures on it!

I want to use the challenge as an opportunity to...
    • Get better at planning!
    • Work with PBR textures.
    • Work with modular textures.

So to start out I broke down the scene into it's various elements...

Egypt_Dungeons_Temple_Concept_Art_Colour_Plan.jpg

created an asset list from that break down...

Egyptian_Temple_Asset_List.JPG

Then created a gantt chart to try and feel out the scope of the project...

Egyptian_Temple_Gantt_Chart.JPG

Apologies for the dry, project management stuff! Only art after this I swear!
  • Mutant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Garasin Love the project management stuff! That Gantt Chart program looks awesome! I love seeing the time management scope side of projects, so keep it coming :D
  • VincentM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VincentM polycounter lvl 2
    I got some time tonight to see that some people join the subject :) I Love to see how everybody works hard on this !

Here what I did tonight :
    High poly sculpt+low poly model on the stairs :poly142: Any feedback will be good (thank you !)

tumblr_n8f5g1DVSn1tbh4xqo1_1280.png
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great Vincent! Maybe a nokb question but whyd you decide to sculpt a hp instead of just use a tiling stone texture?
  • MDStranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress here, decided to do the Falcon head overlooking the bottom floor door, started off with a high poly sculpt in Sculptris and imported it into 3DSMax where I retopologised it, the results are as such thus far.

falcon1_zps17e93cb0.png

falcon2_zps4b95d040.png

Going to be moving onto UV Unwrapping soon and then texturing, gonna try out different styles (Realistic, cartoony, etc) to see what looks best when I get to that stage.
  • VincentM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase, the main reason why I sculpted in Hp is to practice in Zbrush...Not a noob question maybe my answer is :x
  • Don Moahskarton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don Moahskarton polycounter lvl 7
    Sort of at my first phase of modeling out the hi-poly(I've never done this kind of modeling before). Still have work on sizing and model clean up before I make a low poly and maybe do some Zbrush work. But, I wanted to show where I was at and feedback is always welcome!

Wow, this is great !
    I'll try to do something like that.
    But I'm confused on the workflow to follow.

Working on hard surfaces is quite hard for me, and I don't know when to get away from maya and begin to sculpt in Zbrush.
    Also Zbrush always makes "organic-ish" shapes in my hands, but that's another problem.
  • WindchILL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WindchILL polycounter lvl 4
    MDStranger wrote: »
    6eu6j_zpsc6f7576b.png

noob question here, how do you get the environment AO to look like that? is this all already baked onto maps, or is this some sort of rendering?
  • VincentM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess it's just a white material+ viewport screenshot (realistic from max or something like that)
  • MDStranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WindchILL wrote: »
    noob question here, how do you get the environment AO to look like that? is this all already baked onto maps, or is this some sort of rendering?

I used the method in this video here: http://vimeo.com/40528742

There are probably other, more effective methods out there, but for still frames, this is still pretty decent.

http://www.laurenscorijn.com/articles/ambient-occlusion-baking I also found this tutorial which bakes out an AO for you to use as a custom texture, might be more what you're looking for.
  • Dustinmaertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dustinmaertz polycounter lvl 7
    VincentM - Could you post a breakdown of you stairs, I am sure more people then I are curious. Nothing fancy, just some wires and texture flats.
  • Machiavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Machiavelli polycounter lvl 9
    VincentM - Could you post a breakdown of you stairs, I am sure more people then I are curious. Nothing fancy, just some wires and texture flats.

Vincent your stairs are fantastic. I agree with Dustinmaertz that a breakdown would be greatly appreciated. Have you baked the high poly maps yet?

QUESTION TO ALL: I think it would be greatly beneficial if we all show our work flow on something within the scene you are building like the stairs. It would greatly improve all of our skills in terms of speed. I am planning to bake out my high poly in MAX but if I fail with this, then I will use mudbox as I know this work flow.
  • Valitri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VincentM wrote: »
    : Any feedback will be good (thank you !)

Feedback... NAILED IT!

Very nice work. This is the type of modeling I wish to be able to do some day. I am currently using 3ds Max for all models, I would like to get into doing the high polys in a sculpting program like ZBrush.
  • Gadorian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gadorian polycounter lvl 7
    MDStranger wrote: »
    falcon1_zps17e93cb0.png

MDStranger, good work with that Horus head, i think you nailed the proportions from the concept realy well.

I've done a sculpt of the column, but now looking at it i think it's too "european", any feedback?

frVX1T0.jpg
  • MDStranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gadorian wrote: »
    MDStranger, good work with that Horus head, i think you nailed the proportions from the concept really well.

I've done a sculpt of the column, but now looking at it i think it's too "European", any feedback?

frVX1T0.jpg

Looks more like it'd fit in a western castle than an ancient Egyptian building to be honest, I'd make the otherall appearance of the column more smooth and circular, losing the separate blocks that make up each section so that each of them look a bit more like this:

smooth%20strait.jpg

IE, like one big circular piece of concrete stacked on top of another, closer to the reference image and looking much sleeker and in place inside the rest of the environment.

I'm sorry if this isn't entirely clear.
  • Gadorian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gadorian polycounter lvl 7
    MDStranger, yes, i totaly agree with that, gonna try it tomorrow.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    VincentM wrote: »
    I got some time tonight to see that some people join the subject :) I Love to see how everybody works hard on this !

Here what I did tonight :
    High poly sculpt+low poly model on the stairs :poly142: Any feedback will be good (thank you !)

tumblr_n8f5g1DVSn1tbh4xqo1_1280.png

sexy ^
  • VincentM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again :)

First, thank you all for your feedbacks.
    Dustinmaertz - Sure thing here is some steps for the stairs.
    Machiavelli - Thank you very much :) Yes I have baked HP in Xnormal (AO,NRM and Object space Normal) and then, used Quixel suite (it never stops to impress me btw)
    Valitri - Thanks a lot for the Feedback :) Using 3ds Max too, I start using Zbrush since 1 or 2 months so go for it ( the more you use it, the easier it will be ^^)
    oxblood - Thank you :)
    Gadorian - Not a pro in Sculpting, I don't know if i can give you advice on that but maybe your sclupt is a bit bold. By bold i mean, maybe some small cracks and variation between the blocks would be good (and will break the geometry)
    Then, i don't know what style (cartoon or Realistic) you will give to your env, Wait and see

tumblr_n8gqxyDjrm1tbh4xqo1_1280.jpg

Here is the small breakdown for my stairs.
    -After the blocking, i made a low poly stairs and used it in Zbrush for sculpting details
    -The sculpting over, I moved some vertex from the original LowPoly to be closer to the High poly.
    - After some unwrappin, I exported Lp to Xnormal to bake the Hp textures ( Normals+Ao)
    - Then for texturing, I use The quixel suite (I just learn on it right now) to practice more on this awesome tool :)
  • Dustinmaertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell yea, Thank you VincentM
  • VincentM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not so much satisfied on this one, I may be going back on it later ;(
    tumblr_n8gsk1Oy6W1tbh4xqo1_1280.jpg
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    VincentM; Can't wait to see more of your work. Really great stuff! Welcome to the forums btw!
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VincetM; Thanks for the breakdown its a huge help.
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    @ VincetM,
    Looks good, but I don't think your getting much out of those polys. Maybe try an alpha mask with a parallax map for depth.
  • VincentM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon - I never did parallax mapping, i will give it a shot and try that tonight :)
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    @ VincentM: I like your approach on the hatches (I read it as "stone" in the concept). Making them of wood will break up the scene (material-wise).
    looking forward to see your complete scene
  • Garasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @VincentM - Your textures are looking great man. How are you finding the Quixel Suite? I've been toying with the idea of using it for this challenge. I agree with Kon, an alpha map would really shave a lot of the polys off of that model. It's looking nice either way though!

I finished up my block out yesterday...

Block+Out+2.JPG
    Block+Out+3.JPG
    Block+Out+4.JPG
    Block+Out+1.JPG

Please forgive the lighting, I plan on tweaking it as I go along. I feel the colour is far to saturated at the minute. Next I plan on making some tillable textures for the walls and floor.

For anyone interested I'm blogging my progress with this challenge as well. I go more in depth about my thought process.

http://chrisreidart.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers people x
  • TangledTris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Garasin Really cool to see someone documenting their process. You may want to resize or move the pictures on your website though, right now you have a ton of empty space to the left and you need to scroll to see the pictures that extend far towards the right (at least when viewing on a 1080p monitor).
  • Omnipotentous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on this bit completely in Zbrush to see if I could do it. Any critiques would be greatly appreciated! :)

XY8y941.jpg
  • mbp1225
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mbp1225 polycounter lvl 9
    So here's my try at the second knife. I was going to get the textures done but dDo refuses to work properly. So here's the lowpoly wireframe with the ambient occlusion as diffuse.
    screenshot063_by_mbp1225-d7q3z7l.png
    By the way this is my first actual post/reply here on Polycount.
  • PolyShark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyShark null
    So far everyones progress is looking good! This will be the first noob challenge I participate in this month so it should be fun :) That said I am also starting a little late on it as well but hoping to keep up.

Breakdown
    Breakdown.jpg

Block out
    Image01.jpg
  • Garasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You may want to resize or move the pictures on your website though, right now you have a ton of empty space to the left and you need to scroll to see the pictures that extend far towards the right (at least when viewing on a 1080p monitor).

Thanks. Yeah I know what you mean, I'm not too clued up on web layout and such. I'm not too happy with the layout but I'm going to try and have a play about with it and see if I can get something better. Cheers for the heads up!
  • VincentM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

After some tries and not so much satisfaction, I decided to make a better version (with less tris/ better uv's) of my large grid so here it is:tumblr_n8it78xmnq1tbh4xqo1_1280.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I had a little time and was checking out the awesome everyone is doing in here so I took a stab at the prop challenge. Might do the other knives in similar style. Alex who's the concept from?

Maya (Model/UV) to 3D Coat (texture 100%) to Marmoset (Screenshot/Turntable)

jeffparrott_noob072014_004.jpg

jeffparrott_noob072014_001.gif
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    vincentM... much better:)
  • mister_s
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question for some of you:

When you're doing the block outs are you starting in your 3D modeling software of choice, scaling it, then building off the block outs or are you building in the engine (like UDK) exporting the BSPs as Meshes and then altering them in your 3d modeling software?

I've been going from block out to scale in 3DS Max, working with the blocks to make the actual props, then importing them into the engine.

Just want to know more about everyones workflow.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Jeff: Love the knife!
  • Sylver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update before I head to work. I just got the block in done and now adding some meshes.

p6NnADT.png
    L493wy2.png

Normals aren't reading as well as I was hoping, I want to blame the lighting.

sgZ5w6Y.png
  • Garasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, stuffs looking good.

@VincentM - That looks awesome mate. The weaving is really nice!

@Jeff - Really look that hand painted style. It's a nice way of approaching a very sci-fi looking knife.

@mister_s - I normally keep most of my blockout in engine using BSP just because I like to run around in it a lot and get a feel for the playable area.If there are some complex shapes unique to the design I'll knock some placeholders up in 3dsMax and dump them in. But mostly I stay in engine.

@Sylver - I think your pillars work as they're fit for purpose and they shape matches the concept nicely. There may be too large a gap between the stairs as there is a lot of empty space between them, in the concept the door and the water basins are fairly snug in between them. You've made some good progress, I should probably speed up!

So here's my progress so far, I've made three materials...

- Ground
    - Walls
    - A Modular Texture

This is my first try with modular textures so any advice or pointers on where I'm going wrong would be greatly appreciated! Also I suck a lighting so any advice there would be grand!

Ground.png
    Wall.png
    Primary_Texture_1.png
    Capture.JPG

I go a little more in depth here...
    http://chrisreidart.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks people!
  • VincentM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling - Thank you :) I'm a bit slow at the moment but i will try to be faster later :)

Garasin - Thanks man, good work too ;) For the quixel suite, il bought it but the beta is free (if i'm right) and the older is too ! (http://quixel.se/)

Here is the light version for the hatche with a plane instead of the brute mesh, looks flater but seems to work ^^
    tumblr_n8kax33ces1tbh4xqo1_1280.jpg
  • VincentM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my viewport at the moment :)tumblr_n8kicwADEi1tbh4xqo1_1280.jpg
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    High Poly finished. Moving on to the low poly now.
    Knife_HighRes_zps02a4007e.jpg
  • Dustinmaertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylver - Things are looking good. At the moment I would play with the roughness values of your materials, things are looking pretty shiny. Personally I like to add a constant and value and adjust it in the engine until I find the right value, then I try to create a similar value with variations in Photoshop. And watch out for the post processing bloom, it is enabled by default and can be rather distracting. You can toggle it on and off in the viewport > Show > Post Processing > Bloom. Keep up the good work.

Little update on my blockout. I should have a large chunk of time to work on this over the week end.
    DkAkWhz.jpg
  • carlson bench
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First time having a go at a environment
    m98wZwn.png
    rji0gDa.jpg
  • Dj_Evola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dj_Evola polycounter lvl 7
    Hello all!!
    This is my first message and, of course, my first contest.
    Critics are well received!!

Edit: Sorry, I didn't know that dDo is forbiden. I will post my asset after texture creation. Of course, my fault, I was excited and I didn't read the hole first message.

My first post...:(...sorry.

P.D: Can anyone tell me where can I find the post with the dDo discusion? I'm trying to find it for a while and I don't know why is forbiden.
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Low poly finished. Any thoughts on smoothing or distribution?

Knife_LowRes_zps3598c92e.jpeg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    You all are doing great. Love seeing you all doing some great stuff.

1/2 way finished with this. Hope I can finish by the end of the month.

jeffparrott_noob072014_006.jpg

jeffparrott_noob072014_002.gif
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    Decided I'd give the first knife a go:

VhvLR4I.png

TZ1Vmg4.png

C&C appreciated!
  • TangledTris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really liked the 3rd concept so decided to give it a shot:
    QtCLF0J.png
    Right now just using a combination of AO maps multiplied over a base color to begin the texture. Going to hopefully finish the texture soon and then work on shaders. First serious hard surface model so feedback is welcome.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Had some PC problems so I couldn't start the texturing.. for good.
    Take a lok at my modeling part and decided to modify it a little bit:
    temple_bo_by_dethling-d7qhhe4.jpg

It's still in Max, UDK port will come soon (with textures I hope^^)
    Stats so far: 15574 Verts total
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    I got so inspired by Jeff that I couldn't help myself!
    Not as great as Jeff's, but I'm happy considering the amount of time I put into it!

xD6oMfpl.png

[sketchfab]0fc616b33d094d7f97ec23a5d4136128[/sketchfab]
    Scifi Dagger 01 by jakpe_92 on Sketchfab