Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Electro Sword: a practice in PBR mostly

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
keelhauler polycounter lvl 11
Started a personal project to test and practice PBR workflow. Testing also what can be baked in Modo 801, until now pretty much only have used xNormal.

Electrically powered sword for cutting, shocking and something...

Concept I made.
electro_sword_concept2.png

Highpoly. Pretty much done and happy with it.
highpoly_render_1_1.png
highpoly_render_1_2.png

That's the start. Working on the low poly and making bakes at the moment.

Replies

• BBFirefly
    To me, the handle looks a bit long for the length of the blade/where the blade is going to be (is it still called a blade when it's made of electricity?) but other than that it looks great :)
  • keelhauler
    Offline / Send Message
    BBFirefly wrote: »
    To me, the handle looks a bit long for the length of the blade/where the blade is going to be (is it still called a blade when it's made of electricity?) but other than that it looks great :)

I do get where you are coming from, but it is meant to be two-handed, look heavy and borderlining anime big, but thanks for the feedback.
  • keelhauler
    Offline / Send Message
    Took some time to get back on this sadly.

Small update. Did the low poly, uv's and first decent bakes. I think it looks good from a sensible distance. of course there a some problem areas that you will find if you go looking for them, but nothing you should worry about otherwise I think.

Workflow: Modo -> object space normal map -> Handplane -> Toolbag 2

Tris: 5401

Question time: Do you feel that the guard for the trigger is too heavy geometry wise?

Any feedback is welcome as always, but hopefully there is more to give when we get to the texturing part of this thing.

work1_rt1_electro_sword.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    So, this should look kind of like a Cloud's Buster Sword ?
    At first I thought it's short and small like a dagger.
  • keelhauler
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    So, this should look kind of like a Cloud's Buster Sword ?
    At first I thought it's short and small like a dagger.

Maybe not quite, but to that direction and definitely not a dagger.

Seems the scale does not read that well on it. Maybe not enough hints for the scale. For one thing the ring on the trigger is for the index finger to go through. Will think what would help the scale be more obvious.
  • Fnitrox
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    The issue with the scale to me is mostly due to the overall chunkyness which is not really giving the impression of lenght...

And also it's pretty short too since even if I'd wield it with 2 hands the rest of the blade probably won't be longer than my arm
  • keelhauler
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback.

Gave it two more blade elements and scaled the handle down a bit. Starts to feel like you could reach and hit something with it now. :)

How is it looking now?

High poly:
    highpoly_render_2.jpg