Home Quixel Megascans

Quixel - Adding scratches, rust etc... just on selected areas ???

hey guys,
I have a question about the new quixel suite work progress, is it possible to add scratches, rust or whatever for details just on specific areas?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, but you'll have to be more specific about what you want to do and where you're having trouble to get advice on how.
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want simply create a texture for a gas pump, the mesh is splited basically just in two areas... black plastic and metal... After aplying the materials... in my example i added the THICK OAINTED AMOR or SCUFFED WHITE METAL but i would like to delte some details or add the details in some other place on my mash...
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    EarthQuake think he just wants to position details on the mesh by hand, like hand placed scratches, fingerprints, labels etc
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's not directly about details like labels, its more about scratches etc.... Same question for deleting details, for example if don't like rust or scretches in a special place on my mesh... is there any way to delete them ?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the basic way to add rust or scratches would be to add another rust layer on top, use the masking to select which material to apply to do, and use the curvature editor to define where the rust shows up.

I believe you can also paint your own mask, but I haven't used the suite in a while so someone else will have to give you more info on that. But even then, you start by adding a rust layer on top etc.

Also check the huge quixel thread here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135743&page=7
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok many thanx!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I believe you can also paint your own mask, but I haven't used the suite in a while so someone else will have to give you more info on that. But even then, you start by adding a rust layer on top etc.
    AFAIK they're improving hand-editing of masks currently. What you can do now that works quite well is start off with a basic Dynamask (which is excellent) and apply the mask, then edit the mask itself in photoshop, using say the albedo channel. Then, after hand editing the map (For scratches I'd use dynamask to get a nice array of scratches based on megascans that also occlude/gather based on AO/cavities as desired, then mask out some stuff manually), then you use the dropdown menu in the top-right of the dDo window with the mask selected and click 'apply mask to all layers'. This just copies the edited mask to all your other maps. The one downside currently is that if you were to make some change in dynamask, you'd lose your hand edits (I'm 99% sure this is the case anyway).
  • islipaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    islipaway polycounter lvl 10
    I've found it's possible to get the masking looking how I want it all over the map, then merge all the layers and paint out the bits I don't want then hit done on the mask window in DDO.