Quixel Suite - Ddo - Decals??

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Beddall polycounter lvl 6
hey,

how do you do decals in the new Ddo?
I was watching this video.. "Complete dDo Legacy Breakdown - The Chainsaw"
which can be found here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hncqbwkGbM4
at the end, he imports a few decals for the brand name etc of the chainsaw. Is there a way to do this in the new Ddo and some how make it into a material that will then have it's values propagated across all the export maps?

I've been playing with it with some limited success... just really can't nail it down.

cheers

Replies

• Beddall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beddall polycounter lvl 6
    ok. so i think i have this figured out, thought I better post it and see if anyone knows if this is the right way of doing things. It's a bit off a faff about but it's certainly easier than doing it on photoshop.

to get decals onto your Ddo PBR texture set:

1. [Photoshop layers] Import the decal into the albedo map. (make sure it's not in a group with another material) not sure if it has to be rasterised but I had a couple of crashes wen it wasn't.

2. [Photoshop layers]select contents of the decal layer and create a layer mask.

3. [Ddo], select decal layer > options > copy layer to all maps.

4.[Ddo] select decal layer > group (folder icon at bottom of window)

5. [Ddo] click on the tabs at the top of the window for the maps that the decal was copied to.

6[Photoshop] manually select the layers in the photoshop layer pallette and edit them. I did this by simply adding a solid colour adjustment layer on top of the decal (but in the same group) and linking it (alt click between layers) to the decal below. then linked another overlay layer on top of that to give it some variation

7. [photoshop] of course you will need to fiddle with the values to get the right feel to the material. There are docs in the wiki with this sort of info.

8.[Photoshop] now you can manually edit the top mask in photoshop to add/remove and tears or worn edges to your decal.

9.[Ddo] when your changes have been made, select the decal layer, goto options > copy mask to all maps. chack to make sure that's actually copied across to all the maps it needs to.

10. if you want weathering effects etc, just group the decal layer again (from the top level in Ddo) then just add the effects the usual way. (left click the mask box)

Once you realise that it's quite easy to move the layers and groups in photoshop, things become a lot clearer. for instance, once i'd done my decal, i realised i wanted it to be on a chipped plastic surface, and wanted the 'damage' to be in the same place on both plastic and decal. so in photoshop I just grabbed the decal group and placed it in the plastic material group above the plastic. this way it inherited the 'damage' that was already on the plastic material.

I think it may be important to create any new groups in Ddo, I can't confirm this.

if anyone knows of a better way, then please let me know. I've been searching the net but can't find anything relating to this. cheers.
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many Thanx! i posted exactly the same question a few days ago but i got answers...
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
    Brilliant. Bookmarked this for future endeavors of the many hours I will spend with Max/Quixel/UDK or Unity. Thanks for the tip.